Control Surface

Fulcrum

Trying to find out which control surface would integrate best with the Cakewalk by BL daw?  Is MCU Pro outdated old technology?

Trying to keep cost to $1500 or less and again something known to work well and easily with cakewalk.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thx,

MP

The MCU Pro works fine with Cakewalk. Mackie are still selling it, so it's still current technology.

I personally use the original MCU + XT + C4. 

Other (probably more popular choices) are:

• Behringer X-Touch
  • Presonus FaderPort 8  / Presonus FaderPort 16

Both of these have motorised faders.

The only thing I'd say about the MCU (and the MCU Pro), is they're quite large, and take up a lot of desk space. They're built like a tank though.

If you're not worried about motorised faders, take a look at the Korg NanoKontrol Studio.  At just over $150 it's very usable.

All of the above support the Mackie MCU protocol.

One more question do you or anyone else have any feedback on the Avid Artist Mix? Looks to be designed specifically to work with Pro Tools but is Mackie MCU , and if you were just purchasing your 1st controller would you go with the MCU Pro or one of the others.

I have the same setup as @msmcleod and are very satisfied with it.  It takes a bit of space though. In a smaller project studio, I'm using a PreSonus Faderport (Classic) which I also find very convenient.  I prefer the simplicity of the latter setup when I'm doing simple track by track recording, and the former when I'm doing mixing/mastering or more complex recording. 

I'm a bit skeptical to Presonus hardware in general after my AudioBox 1818 VSL experience, also the Faderport (Classic) was a mess with frequent firmware updates.  Mackie on the other hand has been a rock of reliability and stability. It is built like a tank.  

Edited by iRelevant

4 hours ago, Frans van den Berge said:

Too bad they don't make em anymore.

You ca find them refurb easy ;) the built quality is so great that you'll have to go SSL neucleus to have something just build like it (even some parts on ssl feels less solid !) 

• 4 weeks later...