Mixed In Key -30% BF Sale (incl. Captain Plugins)

Tomgu

He clearly leans to Orb in this video and admits to not covering some key Captain functions.  Honestly, this has been the toughest decision this BF.  They're both good for what they do.  I've demoed both and am leaning toward Orb but it doesn't include a beat function.  Given how much development has happened in just this year, though, I'm pretty sure they see this as a competitive disadvantage and hopefully develop the capability in future updates.  There's a more recent video by this guy that is helping me get closer to the Orb side of the fence.

• Like 1

It's definitely a go to for me along with Orb! I wouldn't be without either.

The worst thing about it is the fact that it requires an internet connection to work and frequently asks for my VIP code (serial number) but I have got used to keeping it handy.

Edited by ZincT

2 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

He clearly leans to Orb in this video and admits to not covering some key Captain functions.  Honestly, this has been the toughest decision this BF.  They're both good for what they do.  I've demoed both and am leaning toward Orb but it doesn't include a beat function.  Given how much development has happened in just this year, though, I'm pretty sure they see this as a competitive disadvantage and hopefully develop the capability in future updates.  There's a more recent video by this guy that is helping me get closer to the Orb side of the fence.

Thanks. I have Orb and I have enough drum machines, so I think I'll resist GAS on this.  I'll watch the videos when I can catch a moment.

9 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

I have seen that video before and I definitely think he skips over some Captain features and seems biased towards Orb.

In use I find Captain a bit more clunky but I still like the results and often better than Orb. They keep adding features to both so it's a tight contest.

Orb results often seem to be more what you would expect from constrained probability/randomisation whereas Captain seems to come up with more musical sounding snippets. 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ZincT said:

I have seen that video before and I definitely think he skips over some Captain features and seems biased towards Orb.

In use I find Captain a bit more clunky but I still like the results and often better than Orb. They keep adding features to both so it's a tight contest.

Orb results often seem to be more what you would expect from constrained probability/randomisation whereas Captain seems to come up with more musical sounding snippets. 

I can't find any info on either in terms of how many scales they support.  Any insight here, Zinc?

57 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

I can't find any info on either in terms of how many scales they support.  Any insight here, Zinc?

Here's a screenshot I just made from Captain Chords showing the types of scale available from the drop down menu.

1266487036_CPScales.jpg.83fbd14457eb72f956af2106ccd99ffb.jpg

Here's one for Orb Chords - these appear to be listed as just the modes.
Looks like Captain wins this round :) 

1317902634_OrbScales.jpg.0eb3e02b3eba3698f78ba3508c04634a.jpg 

Edited by ZincT

15 minutes ago, Grem said:

I have several chord generators. But none integrate with the other plugins like Orb. 

Captain Plugins does Grem.  It works in a similar way to Orb with the various parts all syncing together and feeding their scale/chord information to each other.  The only proviso I believe in both of them is that you must have the Chords plugin loaded to control the musical content of the others (except that Captain Beat works independently).

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

I’ve had Captain Chords since 1.0.  Frequent updates, always getting better. Sounds musical, as in music I would like to hear. Easy to use.  Easy to work with in the DAW.  Never been requested since the beginning to ever pay for an update.  A long list of very helpful and clear support YouTubes.  Examples of using it with creating real songs.

Oh, I also have Orb and the others. Can’t say the same about them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the latest Calkwalk, Captain Chords crashes when I exit.  I start Cakewalk, add Captain Chords, select Go on the default scale and then File->Exit and Cakewalk crashes.  Captain Chords uses a bunch of .Net framework stuff (just like Cakewalk).  I've tried repairing things, but fixing .Net installs is a lot harder than it looks.  Anyone else on Windows 20H2 getting crashes exiting Cakewalk after adding Captain Chords?

21 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

With the latest Calkwalk, Captain Chords crashes when I exit.  I start Cakewalk, add Captain Chords, select Go on the default scale and then File->Exit and Cakewalk crashes.  Captain Chords uses a bunch of .Net framework stuff (just like Cakewalk).  I've tried repairing things, but fixing .Net installs is a lot harder than it looks.  Anyone else on Windows 20H2 getting crashes exiting Cakewalk after adding Captain Chords?

I have Windows 10 Pro version 2004 (build 19041.630), so not 20H2 (still holding off) but I cannot replicate your crash.

When I hit File->Exit  Cakewalk prompts to Save and I select No and it just exits normally. 

I do have CC set to not ask for a key on startup so it just goes straight into CC with the default key (which you can still change).

Have you got the new version of CbB 2020.11 (Build 098) which has just been published as I think it fixes a few bugs?

Edited by ZincT

4 hours ago, Topcheese said:

The is price makes it more affordable to me, but you need to be online to use its features.

It astounds me the thread even continues after someone reveals the terrible model like this.

These guys need to fix a fundemental trust issue with their paying customers.  I don't care how good the product is, that model is absurd and there is no way I'd buy it even at $5.  (my opinion).  

29 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Have you got the new version of CbB 2020.11 (Build 098) which has just been published as I think it fixes a few bugs?

Yes.  But this isn't the first crash exiting Cakewalk I've seen recently since moving to Windows 20H2.  I'm beginning to suspect it's the bad guy here.  But it could also be something that installed/overwrote something.  Software uses so many system/shared things it's very easy for things to break.

Well it's definitely not Cakewalk.  Captain Chord's crashes on exit in Cubase and VSTHost (it's a test app for plugins), neither of which use any of the shared Windows stuff.  At this point I have to assume it has something to do with Windows 20H2, though it may be something Captain Chord ultimately needs to fix.  Except they moved their support forum to Facebook, so that's dead end for me.  Good news is it seems to run/work just fine, only crashes closing the DAW. 

I'm going to keep looking, I may be able to figure something out but the stuff that is in the call stack are all part of the OS install now.  Could also just be something that only effects me, won't be the first time that happened.