IK Black Friday Deals

cclarry

5 hours ago, Grem said:

Yep. This is me exactly. It works for me! I don't see it as awful.

The music I compose doesn't require anything more than ST4. And I'm really happy and proud I got it for such a deal!!

I am only letting others like me know that info.

Me too. Do I think it is fantastic. Nope, but I think it is okay for my needs.  Nobody at the church where I used it live to add some strings, etc thought it was bad and for what I got it for it is perfect.  Would I like to have a $$$ orch library. Sure but not needed at the moment :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maestro said:

If your needs are not that extensive/demanding, then you'll not see how awful ST/Philhamonik orchestral instruments sound compared to decent 3rd party libraries

I would be very surprised to find an average user that comes here looking for a free DAW that has otherwise extensive/demanding (read expensive) requirements for orchestral instruments libraries

The more pedestrian sample libraries probably suit the average hobbyist, home recordist, or songwriter just fine. In fact if you are doing paid work your client would probably be much more happy with a live recorded orchestra, than with a Kontakt sample library.

Cheers! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulo said:

Yup. With the current UI I wouldn't even have it if it was free. 

I felt the same way about the ST3 UI. The new ST4 UI is a breath of fresh air by comparison. I agree that there could still be improvements, but it's much easier to work with now! Especially with the scalable UI.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

I felt the same way about the ST3 UI. The new ST4 UI is a breath of fresh air by comparison. I agree that there could still be improvements, but it's much easier to work with now! Especially with the scalable UI.

I tend to agree. 🤗

19 minutes ago, abacab said:

It's the contrast between the controls and the background (or lack of) that is the main problem IMO. ST3 is better in that respect, although still somewhat lacking in the looks department.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, paulo said:

It's the contrast between the controls and the background (or lack of) that is the main problem IMO. ST3 is better in that respect, although still somewhat lacking in the looks department.

The aesthetics could definitely use a facelift! But the functionality has been much improved!

21 hours ago, abacab said:
21 hours ago, paulo said:

The aesthetics could definitely use a facelift! But the functionality has been much improved!

Agree with both of you. I still use ST3 on my Surface Pro. And it's not too bad!! But has much more in the contrast department for sure.

21 hours ago, paulo said:

the contrast is terrible - that seems like a really easy fix.  When I first got it I emailed support because I thought it was a bug....apparently not - they like it like that ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2020 at 1:01 PM, abacab said:

I would be very surprised to find an average user that comes here looking for a free DAW that has otherwise extensive/demanding (read expensive) requirements for orchestral instruments libraries

The more pedestrian sample libraries probably suit the average hobbyist, home recordist, or songwriter just fine. In fact if you are doing paid work your client would probably be much more happy with a live recorded orchestra, than with a Kontakt sample library.

Cheers! 😉

Nope.  You can use cheaper libraries and get better patches.  For example, the Legato violin patches sound absolutely horrendous.  Amadeus uses scripted legato, and sounds much better.  That's only a $149 orchestral library.

Many people getting into this look for a free or cheap DAW because DAWs like Cubase and Digital Performer are quite expensive, and Logic Pro X is macOS-only.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

Go to VI-Control.  There are lots of upstarts looking for budget friendly options that work well, and I happily recommend CbB to them 😉

In any case, I ordered the physical package of this.  We did a gift exchange with family and I had my niece put in the order.  Thought I was saving money until she asked for an Apple Watch SE...

Edited by Maestro

On 11/29/2020 at 7:18 AM, Grem said:

Yep. This is me exactly. It works for me! I don't see it as awful.

The music I compose doesn't require anything more than ST4. And I'm really happy and proud I got it for such a deal!!

I am only letting others like me know that info.

For people who just need the non-orchestral samples ST4 is more than enough.  The sounds are actually pretty good.  The issue I have is that the software is not set up great for browsing and finding the sounds.  The folder view is not as good as the docked browser in ST3 (which works like the Kontakt Browser).  You're constantly having to jump between screens.  With ST3, setting up multis, etc. is far quicker.

For Orchestral Libraries, you can easily just buy something else and it isn't really much of a loss.  The other stuff in TSM2/ST4M easily is worth the price you pay for it (esp. during these promotional periods).  You can just ignore the Philharmonik 2 stuff 😉 

Beyond that, no, you don't need to supplement SampleTank with stuff like Addictive Keys, etc. unless you simply prefer the character of one of those instruments.  It comes with everything you need to make music.  That's the biggest selling point of the package - similar to NI Komplete.

Once you get it, you can [largely] stop wasting time looking at other stuff.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Beyond that, no, you don't need to supplement SampleTank with stuff like Addictive Keys, etc. unless you simply prefer the character of one of those instruments.  It comes with everything you need to make music.

In this regard ( creating ideas) I find ST4 lacking. It has some really good MIDI that comes with it for making music, but I haven't been able to manipulate them the way I would like. With the guitar strumming,(to me the acoustic guitar sounds are really good), and the MIDI loops for them are good. You are suppose to be able to manipulate them, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I have been meaning to send in a support ticket on it and have forgotten all about it.

So I prefer to work in EZ Keys, Obleisk (great program) or something like that to get a fresh idea going. For me it's just easier to work with. There are pianos I prefer in ST4 over EZ Keys, but EZ Keys plays the midi files I create more realistically.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grem said:

In this regard ( creating ideas) I find ST4 lacking. It has some really good MIDI that comes with it for making music, but I haven't been able to manipulate them the way I would like. With the guitar strumming,(to me the acoustic guitar sounds are really good), and the MIDI loops for them are good. You are suppose to be able to manipulate them, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I have been meaning to send in a support ticket on it and have forgotten all about it.

So I prefer to work in EZ Keys, Obleisk (great program) or something like that to get a fresh idea going. For me it's just easier to work with. There are pianos I prefer in ST4 over EZ Keys, but EZ Keys plays the midi files I create more realistically.

I think that is the same reason I picked up EZKeys as a BF deal. I also picked up Scaler a while back. I want to spend some time learning to use them to manipulate MIDI in a more productive way.

But as far as ST4 sounds go, I am quite impressed with the ST4 C7 Grand Classical. I imported a couple of solo MIDI piano scores and they sounded great on that piano!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RBH said:

I'm completely confused : I think Kontakt interface is like chewing sand. So- I guess IK is like chewing not quite as quicksand?

Can we change it to Salt instead of sand.  This way  I can add a lime and have it with my......nevermind ;) 

• Great Idea 1