30% Discount on MIDI Packs

John Bohlen

I bought the bundle.  They are not good or useful at all really.  It's not clear exactly what virtual instruments they actually wrote these for.  All you get is some track names to go on.  The couple of cinematic ones I loaded all had changing tempo maps.  So to get it "right" you can't drop it in, you have to open it with Cakewalk.  But that doesn't fix the crazy weird instrumentation.  The EDM/Pop stuff seems slightly better than the cinematic stuff I guess. 

I think I should have realized this wasn't going to be good when there are no audio samples on the entire site.  Check the free ones before you buy anything.  They are exactly like the paid versions in every way only difference is more MIDI files.  Each product has a single image file and a License file and a pile of MIDI files.  That's it.

• Thanks 2

I'd never heard of this company (ProMidiFiles) and was excited to try some of their freebies to evaluate purchasing their products.

I started with the piano jazz freebies... and I would not call them jazz.  They were all HEAVILY quantized and perhaps someone might call them pleasant, but they had NOTHING to do with jazz.

I then tried their free Cinematic scores.   And like Matt, my first reaction was "What instrument(s) was this designed for?"   They had program changes at the beginning of every track, so clearly the author had some VST in mind.    And, as Matt mentioned, they did have tempo changes.

Maybe when I have time in the next day or two I will see if I can put some of my instruments onto the tracks and see if there is anything worthwhile there.

But so far I am not impressed with ProMidiFiles.

I do recommend "Smash Up the Studio" for good Midi files:

http://www.smashupthestudio.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

I do recommend "Smash Up the Studio" for good Midi files:

http://www.smashupthestudio.com/

They do seem much more like what I was expecting from ProMidiFiles.  I vaguely remember bookmarking Smash Up The Studio last year saying I'd wait for a sale to buy something.  Any chance they will do a Black Friday deal?

12 hours ago, John Bohlen said:

Now you've made me curious and I'll probably take a look at their cinematic freebies. Tempo changes are common in classical music and a lot of film composers implement it.

The tempo changes are continuous.  It's like they recorded a conductor.  Or they drew the tempo with a pen tool.  Or pulled the tempo from a performance using Melodyne.  It's very weird.