Spitfire Black Weekend

cclarry

1 minute ago, kevin H said:

It’s on ...

Two words only trying to beat Larry hahah...that’s what my days have turned into - check forum, watch video reviews, pull trigger/pass, download, install, upgrade, and repeat.  I should try making music at some point hahah

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Oh, you mean BBCSO Core.  Almost had a heart attack there, I so don't want to spend another 600GB on BBCSO.

Yeah, I don’t think Professional will have doubled, but it will get the update too. 

Edith: but I wouldn’t mind running a 1.2 TB BBCSO myself. 

Edited by Fleer

Unlike last year I was willing to spend enough to get the Aperture Orchestra this time.  But I'm kind of regretting it.  I picked up the Ton and got Spitfire Solo Strings (completed the bundle with Albion One).  I don't have a solo strings library yet so it seemed like a good fit.  But playing with it this morning I am kind of disappointed.  It sounds very synthy.  At least the violin.  Compared to Joshua Bell it's really bad.  The Aperture Orchestra is nice but it's not all that amazing really either. Spitfire is very hit or miss for me. 

Now I'm thinking I should also get the Embertone Intimate Strings.  I was disappointed they don't have a discount on the bundle, but if the instruments are better maybe that's not so important.  I just have to decide if I want the Friedlander Violin, or if I should skip it (in favor of Bell) and just get the other three.

• Sad 1

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Matthew. Joshua Bell is pretty amazing indeed. Their Intimate Strings are not at the same level but Embertone said they’re working on an updated version. I didn’t get The Ton either, as I’m not into sampled mallets or harps since I’ve got Pianoteq for that. And paying $100 for Orchestral Swarm I don’t feel justified.

But BBCSO is grand. 

6 minutes ago, Fleer said:

But BBCSO is grand. 

For the $749 I paid for BBCSO when it shipped I wasn't so happy.  Their player was kind of buggy.  It's less buggy now, but still has major memory management issues (compared to Kontakt).  They are also selling it a lot cheaper too.  The version you get today for $599 is a lot better deal all around.  And they now have the core option which to be honest might be a better fit for me.  Especially in terms of disc space.  I really don't use all those mics in pro, though I do like having the leaders/solos.

• Like 1

Here's an offer - $779

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/the-black-weekend/

For our definitive 2020 Black Weekend Collection, we bring together three incredible libraries: Eric Whitacre Choir, crafted and conducted by the Grammy winner himself, Albion Tundra, a 100 piece orchestra recorded at the edge of silence, and Spitfire Solo Strings, featuring exceptional first-call London virtuosos and our highly-acclaimed Total Performance patches for Solo Cello and Solo Violin – the perfect accompaniment to orchestral libraries. Choose The Black Weekend and and get three of the best-sounding, premium sample libraries in the world for an incredible price.

Edited by cclarry

I may have been a bit hard on Spitfire Solo Strings.  Comparing the SSoS violin with Joshua Bell a lot of the difference (and why I don't like the sound that much) is they have recorded it in-situ.  Which means it's panned pretty hard to the left and the volume level is way down compared to Bell, which is front and center and crazy loud.  It doesn't make up for the lack of script magic, but you can adjust the stereo settings and tweak the mics on SSoS which results in a much better sound.  Honestly it also seems like it could use some eq and compression too.  I'm sure the way it is out of the box is great for mixing over/with other orchestras, but it's really bad at soloing.

While I may have little use for them Ricotti Mallets is the nicest set of those instruments I've got.  The harp I'm less impressed with.