Embertone Bruce Friday

cclarry

The "Essential" version gives you half the articulations (but the most useful ones are still in there) for just 50 bucks.

Granted, not everybody needs a solo violin, but I've found that subtly adding one atop a string ensemble really brings out the definition, regardless of the context. If I wasn't already covered for solo violin, I'd jump on this. The ones that I have aren't nearly as good, but I can't justify adding another one. To fight off the GAS, I had to take  TUMS (Twice the Usual Modicum of Self control) for this one.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

The "Essential" version gives you half the articulations (but the most useful ones are still in there) for just 50 bucks.

Granted, not everybody needs a solo violin, but I've found that subtly adding one atop a string ensemble really brings out the definition, regardless of the context. If I wasn't already covered for solo violin, I'd jump on this. The ones that I have aren't nearly as good, but I can't justify adding another one. To fight off the GAS, I had to take  TUMS (Twice the Usual Modicum of Self control) for this one.

My threshold for buying the full version of JB was 40% off, so I plumped for the essential version instead. I only need a violin occasionally, and am hoping that I don't know what most of the "missing" articulations are is a sign I probably don't need them!

I wish I could get their Walker D to play nicer with my system; it's the only Kontakt piano I can't get to run smoothly, and that's just the lite version!

• Sad 1

I don't know how many times I've thought "Sul Ponticello would be just the ticket here!". Then I'd think "what the hell is Sul Ponticello, anyway?

Larry, the advantage of JB over Friedlander appears to be that the former has this nifty "intuitive" mode that apparently inserts articulations automatically based on things like note length, overlap, and intervals. 

• Thanks 1

I have Joshua Bell Essential. So far it does everything I'd want a solo violin library to do, and at the moment I have no urge to upgrade to the full version. It's a very nice library.

I have the Friedlander one, too, and it's solid and expressive. I find Joshua Bell to be a bit more refined and elegant. Both are really good.