Musicians and mental health

Tezza

I'm interested in whether music makes mental health issues better or worse, what do others think? Some have told me that if it wasn't for music, they would have struggled to exist in society. They either can't plug into the 9 - 5 norm at all or wouldn't be able to do it without music. I've also known some people to become quite depressed about their music if they don't "make it" or if it doesn't sound the way they want it to, yet they can't let it go and they spiral downwards.

Some people have told me that I might have ADHD but I think the problem is, they just don't underst... oh look! There's a Squirrel!

I'm going to be the first to answer, but I'm going to give it a big "depends."

There have been several studies that show certain types of music (e.g., Classical, Spiritual, upbeat, etc.) have a positive effect on mood while others (e.g., Death Metal, Doom, etc.) can have a negative effect.  Naturally, some of these studies were done using plants (which obviously didn't grow up with Rock and Roll), so your mileage may vary.

Personally, I like a LOT of genres and I'm generally an upbeat guy because of them, but too much Country and most Rap (or anyone puking into the microphone) makes me want to start a killing spree.

[tinfoil hat time]

I've seen some research that tries to indicate that when A was set to 432 Hz that all the tones resonated positively with the body (it just "feels" better).  440 Hz is said to not match well with the body's native frequencies and therefore causes some unease and encourages anti-social behavior.  Some even go so far as to imply that the new standard can be used to program people.

So, how did 440 Hz become the standard?  Although other countries promoted it earlier, it was chosen in the U.S. in 1935 with the funding and persuasion of the Rockefeller Foundation and the Rothschilds (not like those names haven't been connected with other conspiracies, ya?).

As if all this wasn't bad enough, we now have Kanye West... (Aiiiiii!!!!) 

[/tinfoil hat time]

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bayoubill said:

Which reminds me 

is listening to by Bolero by  Ravel  while looking at my photos of guitars in bikinis considered weird ? Ore is it weird because of what I Am doing while listening to Bolero and looking at guitars in bikinis 

Hey as long as you do it in Las Vegas it shall be deemed acceptable. 🤣

• Great Idea 1

I’ve been around musicians my whole life. Mentally health issues are common. I think it’s important to have a routine, be organized, even if it’s not in your nature. Having a family and positive relationships is a must. Don’t fall for the “romantic” stereotypes of the romantic artist. Being a musician is about dealing with chaos. You need order to balance it out.

• Like 4

I think music itself is soothing. 

I love having a way to express without words.

I don't think having an outlet for expression by itself assures mental health, but it does seem to promote it.

I think when you consider music as a profession and ask the mental health question, there are too many variables to show anything meaningful. Like, who is drawn to it as a profession. How often is it a profession of last resort? What are the weird pressures applied on musicians by how the money in the industry is choked to flow this way and that. How much impact does living around alcohol soaked people have on your life? Spending nights in bars? Getting paid in liquor?

But then, most musicians I know have a better social life than non-musicians in my experience. That can be another mental health booster.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1