Can I route MIDI tracks to an aux, patch point, or bus

DocBob

Question

I'm using  a  VST orchestra. I'd like to group all the MIDI woodwinds tracks and send them to an Aux or other such track so I can automate the whole woodwind section together.

Any way to send MIDI to Aux, Patch point, or Bus? If not, is there a workaround.

In Reaper for instance a track folder acts as an aux track and any mixing moves on the track folder affect all the tracks in the folder equally. Clearly that's not how track folders work in cakewalk.

7 answers to this question

You can route the audio data via an audio send.  However, at this time, there is no such thing as a MIDI send.

Until this is available in Cakewalk, you could use a VSTi that has a MIDI Thru function. Then you can route its MIDI out to as many synths as your CPU can handle.

MIDImonitor 1.3 is an example of a VSTi that does MIDI Thru

https://pw.promidi.com.au/softopen/midiMonitor_x64.zip

i generally use busses -  reduces overall sliders to move and and groups of instruments can be controlled easily. grouping the busses and tracks can also add some additional control but i find if i want to adjust an individual track in the group, then i have to disconnect it (using keystroke or mouse-menu). if i use a surround buss to send things to, i can also do some adjustment for positioning that a simple pan will not. even in a stereo field.

aux tracks - can do the same for grouping, group effects, pan, etc. 

tracks folder in CwB are just for organizing and being able to hide/unhide easily. if i'm using track folders to package  up a group of instruments, i leave the aux track outside the folder, so, like my buss approach, the main sliders to play with are visible and the tracks are tucked away...

20 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i generally use busses -  reduces overall sliders to move and and groups of instruments can be controlled easily. grouping the busses and tracks can also add some additional control but i find if i want to adjust an individual track in the group, then i have to disconnect it (using keystroke or mouse-menu). if i use a surround buss to send things to, i can also do some adjustment for positioning that a simple pan will not. even in a stereo field.

aux tracks - can do the same for grouping, group effects, pan, etc. 

tracks folder in CwB are just for organizing and being able to hide/unhide easily. if i'm using track folders to package  up a group of instruments, i leave the aux track outside the folder, so, like my buss approach, the main sliders to play with are visible and the tracks are tucked away...

For MIDI??