Free - by Scandalous Grace

michaelhanson

Here is another new song by Scandalous Grace.   All recommendations and comments are welcome.  This one was written by myself and mixed/ mastered by yours truly.   Hope you enjoy  

Performed by Scandalous Grace
Words & Mu­sic: Michael Hanson
Sean Peifer: BG Vox, Electric Rhythm, Guitar Solos.
Michael Hanson: Lead Vocal, Bass, Acoustic Guitars, Electric rhythm, Drum Programming, Mixing and mastering.
Reece Bain  (Beagle): Keys (both piano and strings) and BGVs.

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson/free-16

Lynn-  Hope your doing well through out this pandemic.

Thank you for listening and commenting.  Thank you, yes, the 3 of us have come a long way in the last several years; the hard work is starting to pay off.  

Ed-  Thank you for the advice on the vocals.  I have posted a new version raising all of the vocals just a tad.  Hope this is better.   Sean's lead work is always stellar.

Very well done here ! The acoustic guitar intro is well played (maybe a bit boxy sounding mix wise ?) . . . but wow, I love it when the drums and electric guitar first come in . . . it's kind of a very cool swish sound, and then the whole band is right there, very effective. That solo guitar stands out, and I'm appreciating how it was mixed kind of raw, and not over produced with smoothness and tons of delay etc . . .

There's a lot of talent here, hope you guys do well, best of luck out there !

Noynekker - Thank you for listening and commenting.  The acoustic guitar was played and recorded in a room with hardwood floors, that may add to the "bit boxy" tone you are hearing.  I actually love that swish when we all come into the song as well; it was a pleasant surprise to hear how well the timing was on everyone's tracks.   

I get quite a few comments on my mix style.  I have often heard it referenced here as almost a "Live" feel.  I try not to over produce, only add what is needed.  

Any way....really happy to hear that you liked the song.  

Edited by michaelhanson

Appreciate the great comments guys!  can you believe we've been together for over 4 years now?  we've released 3 CDs and this material is candidate for our 4th!

You guys have made it great with your comments and suggestions over the years!  we appreciate you all very much!

• Like 2

I really enjoyed this song.  I tried hard but couldn't come up with any crit.'s or suggestions.  I must agree with you on the mix.  I love that "live feel" in recordings.  Over production and over-selling of vocals has made me miss going to small venue live performances even more during this pandemic.  Excellent work gentlemen!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 2:09 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

Michael, your inner Bon Jovi is coming through in your voice.  This is a fine production and song, and I believe that it reflects the growth I've been hearing from you guys over the last few years.  Well done!

Ha!  that's a cool compliment Lynn!  I wish I could sound like Bon!