WD 1 TB SSD

cclarry

I paid around £230 for my 1TB SSD when it came out, which at the time was around $275 - $300 (yes, way before June 2016 ;)

They're around half that now.

It's a delicate balance between supply & demand. Not many people want a 2TB SSD, but then again, not many people will until the prices drop.

New Intel 660p 2TB M.2 NVME drive arrived yesterday morning. 1800 Mbps read and write. £172 including tax and delivery. That's about £143.30 before tax or about $188. 5 year warranty. Endurance is 400 TBW which is sufficient to write more than 1.5 TB per week or 200 GB every day for five years. Has very good power management for laptop users.

Managed to find one of the new USB-C/3.0 NVME caddies for cloning existing NVME drive for £17.

Edited by musical

I'm thinking of getting one of these (1tb SSD) and reducing my normally 3 hardrive system to 2, one with OS, applications and samples and the other for recording/projects. This would mean I can load everything onto my "C" drive, applications and their associated samples (Komplete Ultimate 10) and some others.

For the recording drive I could use the 7200rpm drive as I have been doing, no problems there, I guess an SSD would be ok for that as well.

Does anyone run their system like this? Just trying to determine if there would be any performance hits by doing it this way.

Edited by Tezza

Hey Tezza,

I am using my 1 TB drive as the C:\ with OS and and installed programs on the computer. 
My other 1 TB SSD contains Cakewalk Projects, Samples,  Loops and the like. 
My 500 GB drive is used as a storage drive of all downloaded Software, plugins and updates to the software. 
The last 1 TB drive is used to Backup my C:\ drive using AOMEI Backupper.  (Shameless Plug) 😎

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tezza said:

I'm thinking of getting one of these (1tb SSD) and reducing my normally 3 hardrive system to 2, one with OS, applications and samples and the other for recording/projects. This would mean I can load everything onto my "C" drive, applications and their associated samples (Komplete Ultimate 10) and some others.

For the recording drive I could use the 7200rpm drive as I have been doing, no problems there, I guess an SSD would be ok for that as well.

Does anyone run their system like this? Just trying to determine if there would be any performance hits by doing it this way.

I have one system that has 4 2TB HDDs.  I'm not gonna give them up until 2TB SSDs get well under $200.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:57 AM, jesse g said:

Hey Tezza,

I am using my 1 TB drive as the C:\ with OS and and installed programs on the computer. 
My other 1 TB SSD contains Cakewalk Projects, Samples,  Loops and the like. 
My 500 GB drive is used as a storage drive of all downloaded Software, plugins and updates to the software. 
The last 1 TB drive is used to Backup my C:\ drive using AOMEI Backupper.  (Shameless Plug) 😎

Thanks, you keep your samples on the recording drive?

I was looking to keep samples OS and Applications on 1 drive and then recording/projects on the other.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:16 AM, kitekrazy said:

I have one system that has 4 2TB HDDs.  I'm not gonna give them up until 2TB SSDs get well under $200.

Thanks, I was looking at using 2 SSD's only.