Slate Digital VSX Modeling Headphones (kind of a deal)

Bapu

20 hours ago, mister_tea said:

Unfortunately there's not much left, so the robots will replace the musicians, then the producers, then the listeners.

It's already getting there, think cthulthu chord packs and progressions or some melody packs, drum grooves, vocal chops, all the ez-stuff etc. Music can be made with a mouse, pads or midi keys used to trigger a sequence of chords and not the melody... more of a programming rather than playing music.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, mibby said:

Or, for $54 bucks you can use you own headphones....

(There are a number of other options in this thread too, as well as Lars pointing out that he had already pointed out the deal I was pointing out.)

I have the dSoniq option too. As well, I have a custom profile for my Sennheiser HD-598s with SonarWorks.
I also have the Ultimate Ears Pro with custom fitted ear molds for absolute flat response.
Finally I have the built in ARC in my IKM iLoud MTMs.

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I have the dSoniq option too. As well, I have a custom profile for my Sennheiser HD-598s with SonarWorks.
I also have the Ultimate Ears Pro with custom fitted ear molds for absolute flat response.
Finally I have the built in ARC in my IKM iLoud MTMs.

Good grief! Which one do you use??

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

Decent. Not particularly ground breaking. Borders on flimsy construction. 😞 

Yes. I read that and can see they have been replaced.
So if you still have yours ...  get them replaced.
It was a fauulty plastic on the mouldings and a few other things.

I myself have bought them not for the headphone copies but for the "real room" experience.

After reading through 144 paged thread on GearSlutz (and you know what they are like) form some the long standing members praising them was attractive to me.

8 hours ago, mibby said:

Good grief! Which one do you use??

ALl of them at one time or another.

6 hours ago, garybrun said:

Yes. I read that and can see they have been replaced.
So if you still have yours ...  get them replaced.

@garybrun Where? How?

On 1/8/2021 at 11:12 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Uh... Why do you need a pair of headphones that emulates other headphones?

Because not everyone listens to music on the same pair of headphones that the producer mixes it on. Different headphones (and speaker systems) have different frequency responses - what might sound like a good amount of bass on one set might be massively overpowering on another set; what might sound like a good treble on one set might end up causing ear fatigue too easily on another set. The emulation lets you switch between different sets so that you can mix in such a way that it sounds good on all.

5 hours ago, antler said:

Because not everyone listens to music on the same pair of headphones that the producer mixes it on. Different headphones (and speaker systems) have different frequency responses - what might sound like a good amount of bass on one set might be massively overpowering on another set; what might sound like a good treble on one set might end up causing ear fatigue too easily on another set. The emulation lets you switch between different sets so that you can mix in such a way that it sounds good on all.

That sounds like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist, IMO. If I recall correctly, mixing with headphones was supposed to be a compromise, not a complete replacement for actual monitors.