MIDI footswitch for guitars - recommendation request

Ryan Hyde

Hi folks,

I'm primarily a guitarist/bassist, and I'm looking to incorporate a MIDI footswitch into my gear. I really only intend to use it to trigger stomp boxes and amp effects through TH3 or TH-U, as I already have a Nektar IMPACT LX61+ keyboard that has plenty of buttons for arming, playing, recording, looping, etc. 

What do people use for this? I've seen the Behringer FBC1010 talked about a lot, but I don't have any place to plug in an actual MIDI cable. I've seen MIDI to USB interfaces, but don't have any experience with them and don't know how reliable that setup typically is. Are there other options that are reliable? 

Any insights would be very helpful!

I have both a Roland FC-300 and Yamaha MFC-10. I got the FC-300 to use with a VG-99, although now I'm using it more with an SY-1000. I also use it with SW.

fc_300_top_main.jpg

I was using the MFC-10 with Live, but now I'm just using the FC-300. Since I have the FC-300 I'm using it and like it, but it seems fairly product specific. The MFC-10 works fine and the SoftStep is popular although it doesn't have expression pedals. 

mfc10_1200x480_4bd430ab6aa623d353340f776

The FC-300 connects to the VG-99, but I also use a MIDI out when I'm not using the VG-99. I have a MOTU MIDI ExpressXT which is a MIDI router/IF. You can use something like the Roland UM-ONE mkII for MIDI to USB. 

UMOneMk2-large.jpg.auto.webp