Pitch Bend In the Piano Roll?

ceakay

Question

13 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, seakay beats said:

I asked the question about pitch-bending before, but that was using the bottom part with the wheel option. But is there a way to do this in the piano role? Like overlapping with legato notes.

That would be up to a particular VST how it interprets such an event. It could never be a Cakewalk thing.

Overlapping notes are usually, legato, glissando or hammer-ons. Pitch bend is improbable.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, seakay beats said:

I asked the question about pitch-bending before, but that was using the bottom part with the wheel option. But is there a way to do this in the piano role? Like overlapping with legato notes.

Are you talking about using pitch bend events of a single note, or are you talking about using portamento on two notes where first note ends after the second note begins (legato).

All methods are possible in the PRV.  Whether your synth responds depends on the synth itself.

3 minutes ago, seakay beats said:

Yeah, pitch bend events. I know it can be done with the wheel option. So is there a way to see a  specific note using the wheel? It is hard pitch bending when not knowing the if I'm keeping it in the scale of the song.

Pitch bend usually acts on all notes at once.    

Unless the specific synth acts on just the highest or lowest note played. 

I really depends on the synth and how it responds to pitch bend. 

What synth are you using?

I usually use the synth Surge. 

9 hours ago, Promidi said:

Pitch bend usually acts on all notes at once.    

Unless the specific synth acts on just the highest or lowest note played. 

I really depends on the synth and how it responds to pitch bend. 

What synth are you using?

I usually use the synth Surge.

3 hours ago, Promidi said:

The only option with this synth is for the pitch bend to affect all notes at once.

What is it exactly you wish to achieve?

Sorry, I might've been unclear. My new question is if there is a way to see the pitch of a note using the wheel. In the picture below, I wanted to know if  I can see a specific note it was pitch bending it to.

image.png.14eaff3d5298daa377c0f2d1c7a9062c.png

26 minutes ago, seakay beats said:

Sorry, I might've been unclear. My new question is if there is a way to see the pitch of a note using the wheel. In the picture below, I wanted to know if  I can see a specific note it was pitch bending it to.

It won't show you the actual note.  However, you can tell which note it was pitch bending it to by working out how many semitones you have raised the pitch by.

In the particular example above , and assuming you've configured Surge to use the default range of two semi-tones, it would raise to pitch by a semi-tone, or one interval.  (although that final Pitch band event would be out of tune because it's not exactly half)

Now , say you have increased the range of Surge's pitch bend to 12 semi-tones, then you need to do a bit of maths

The maximum range of numbers a pitchbend event value can have is -8191 to 8191.  To raise the pitch by an octave, you would have to issue a pitch bend of 8191

Say you still had Surge's pitch bend range set to 12 semi-tones and you wanted to raise the pitch by 5 semitones.  In that case you would issue a pitch bend of 8191 multiplied by (5 divided by 12).  The equates to 3413.  That would give you the 5 semi-tones bend.

I know this sounds complicated, but the latest version of Cakewalk by Bandlab has articulation maps.  With these you can build MIDI transforms that can convert pitchbend events that use the entire range to any other range.  You can create 12 MIDI transforms, each named interval number 1 to 12 respectively.

So say you want to to an articulation map to convert an octave shift to a shift of 5 intervals.

First set Surge to have a pitch bend range of 12 semi-tones.

Then create an articulation map with the following settings:

Under the "Transform Existing MIDI Events" section set both Kinds to "Wheel"

Leave the range on "In(min/max)" to between -8192 to 8191, but set range on the "Out(min/max)" to between -3413 to 3413

Then you can use articulation maps to convert existing full ranged pitch bend MIDI events to the range as set by the articulation map.

Of course you would have to create another 11 articulation maps for the other ranges. However, you would only have to do this once, then you can export these articulation maps for use in future projects.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 2:51 PM, seakay beats said:

In the picture below, I wanted to know if  I can see a specific note it was pitch bending it to.

If I understand you, any notes directly above the pitch bend data in PRV will be affected by it.

It looks like you have several short notes throughout the length of the pitch data, so they will all be affected by it.

Cakewalk defaults the full bend range to 2 semitones up (0  to +8191) and down (-8191 to 0), or 4 semitones total. There is a way to change it higher and lower but I forget how ATM.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 1:37 PM, sjoens said:

If I understand you, any notes directly above the pitch bend data in PRV will be affected by it.

It looks like you have several short notes throughout the length of the pitch data, so they will all be affected by it.

Cakewalk defaults the full bend range to 2 semitones up (0  to +8191) and down (-8191 to 0), or 4 semitones total. There is a way to change it higher and lower but I forget how ATM.

Thank you so much, that's some useful info.