How Can This Be Happening???????

Rfcousins

5 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Okay - this is what I stumbled on so far. 

"Your motherboards drivers stops at Windows 8.1."

However . . . I is fixable with a Bios and Firmware update, but - I highly do not recommend you to do this and discourage you from ever thinking to try it! if you've never done this before. This will destroy your PC and you'll have to replace your bios chip. Yep I used to be in I.T

I have done bios updates before. I too worked in IT for a school district in FL. I am a certified music teacher, New England Conservatory 1974 (piano), but after 30 years in the classroom and with the knowledge from working with this music tech stuff since 1987 I jumped to IT. Retired in 2013 so I am fuzzy compared to 7 years ago. I updated the BIOS on this machine just about a year ago, but the BIOS was dated from 2013 I believe (without checking it). Just saying I have the latest BIOS listed on the ASUS website for this motherboard that I saw there. Did I miss something! The BIOS update was pretty much automated thru the BIOS and was real easy. 

Thoughts?

Roger

13 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Yeah. Are you still considering the hardware? 

I only see the BIOS Firmware update that I already did dated 8/8/2013. It looks to me like the drivers were not updated to include WIN 10 either. Did you see something different on another site?

15 minutes ago, Rfcousins said:

I only see the BIOS Firmware update that I already did dated 8/8/2013. It looks to me like the drivers were not updated to include WIN 10 either. Did you see something different on another site?

Was about to report back on that. 

It seem as if we've hit the wall. The only thing I can think off right now is - pack up the 3.0 cable and use the 2.0 cable and port. 

You dont have a issue with the drivers from microsoft? Another solution I can think of right now, is if you buy a 2.0 to 3.0 converter USB HUB.

images (1).jpeg

Or 

The internal card. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

4 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Was about to report back on that. 

It seem as if we've hit the wall. The only thing I can think off right now is - pack up the 3.0 cable and use the 2.0 cable and port. 

You dont have a issue with the drivers from microsoft? Another solution I can think of right now, is if you buy a 2.0 to 3.0 converter USB HUB.

Glad we agree ! I built this thing the first time, so I guess it's time to put it to good use surfing the web and keeping my budget spreadsheet etc. I will just work on the laptop with the bigger monitors attached and wireless keyboard to make it feel like the desktop. In the meantime I will start to research parts to build another updated machine for DAW work.

My wife will be unhappy, but 10 year old tech is testament to the good build choices back in 2010. Ha Ha !

Appreciate your sticking with me to work thru this. 

Happy Holidays ! See you here again sometime I'm sure.

Happy Holidays to everyone who weighed in on this issue.

Roger

31 minutes ago, Rfcousins said:

but 10 year old tech is testament to the good build choices back in 2010. Ha Ha !

Ha ha! True. 

What's been working for me over the years and from personal experiences, is to look at what is build for high performance today - that would be gaming computers, right? They're design to take the punch and for me it has always been the "MSI" brand - just me 2 cents. 

Blessings to you and your family over the holidays. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Heard back from FebSmart tech support. They confirmed that the USB 3.1 card I had tried was never going to work with my MB. The did suggest the USB 3.0 card that I had already ordered and said it should work great without any effort for loading drivers etc. We shall see when it gets here Mon or Tues.

Regards,

Roger