Problem playing older projects on new interface

Terry Coleman

Any help would b e appreciated. I have many older projects recorded on Bandlab when I had a Line 6 UX2 interface for my computer. The line 6 crapped out and I got a Focusrite Saffire interface to replace it. Problem is my old projects won't play through the new interface. All newer stuff recorded on the new interface play just fine. Any guess as to why this miss match is occuring. Maybe recording at a different bit rate or something. 

I wouldn't expect mismatched sample rates to completely prevent playback. More likely is it would play back but at the wrong speed.

I have a Saffire, too, and noticed something peculiar recently. I normally work at 44.1, but after working on a 96K project I noticed that now the interface always defaults to 96 KHz. Previously, it would default to 48K. That hasn't actually been a problem, though, as it does obey Cakewalk's request to switch to 44.1 when I'm in the DAW. This is relevant to this topic only insofar as the interface has no problem switching sample rates on command.

I'm not sure about this, but it may be that I/O device assignments are per-project rather than global. If that's the case, perhaps the cure is to go into Preferences and make sure the new interface is designated for those old projects.

[EDIT]

I just tried an experiment that yielded unexpected results. With the interface at 96 KHz, I pulled up WMP and played something. Then I closed WMP and set the interface SR to 44.1 via the MixControl app. WMP then failed with "can't find an audio device". Same thing for 48 KHz. But after setting it back to 96 KHz WMP was happy. Neither the file format nor its sample rate mattered (MP3, WMA, FLAC, WAV). When the SR was anything other than 96 KHz it was as if the interface wasn't even there. YouTube acted the same way, except it didn't show an error message; just wouldn't play.

Focusrite drivers are a little different. What just happened to me is I have been using my Tascam interface and I could always have a video tutorial  open and watch it while working in Cakewalk. I can't do this with my Scarlett 6i6. Same ASIO settings. I'm always at 44.1. I do believe videos are 48?  Why did this work with the Tascam and not the Focusrite? 

It is better to set the same sample rate for the interface in all application, then convince the interface to switch into that rate (up to reboot, in case it refuse switching by software). So, check Windows sound settings and set targeted sample rate (check all visible in Windows inputs and outputs individually), then check Cakewalk and the interface controlling panel.

That is especially important with one interface in the system, it will be "default" for Windows and so most probably in use outside DAW. Different interfaces react differently on switching requests, in best case Windows application are silenced when DAW/own control panel is switching to something else.

Assuming Windows and Cakewalk are using the same sample rate, most interfaces can output ASIO and Windows sounds simultaneously. Some, but not all. That information is somehow hard to find for particular interface. Some people claim playing with flags (disabling them) in the "Exclusive" section in Windows settings can help with some interfaces. Impact on performance/latency/stability is a different question.

There is no reports some interface can work with different sample rates at the same time. All have just one hardware clock. But in some driver frameworks Windows can re-sample on the fly, so OP can try MME and WASAPI Shared to get some sound even in case interface is not working with the Project clock (Cakewalk Project sample rate is locked and interface/driver should be able to work with it, unlike in some other DAWs...).

Hello, i am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but , here it is:

I got a Zoom l12 mixer with built in audio interface but i am having a problem with latency.

i try different settings but the latency is to much to play with it.

Does any one did  try Zoom l12 mixer? if so what settings you use

Thanks

Joe pires

1 hour ago, Jose Pires said:

Hello, i am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but , here it is:

I got a Zoom l12 mixer with built in audio interface but i am having a problem with latency.

i try different settings but the latency is to much to play with it.

Does any one did  try Zoom l12 mixer? if so what settings you use

Thanks

Joe pires

Hi Joe,

Yes, best to start your own thread.  Things could get confusing with two topics, and bottom line, it's not fair to the OP.

That said, maybe this setup video on the L12 will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJhez9kioN8

Edited by JonD