Change request: keep maximized state of undocked windows when they are closed and then reopened

Cristiano Sadun

Hi!

The following s a small thing, and hopefully easy to fix, but it always irritates the beejeezus out of me. Not sure if it's a bug or by design, but in the second case I'd ask to review the design 🙂 I am pretty sure it's been the behavior from Sonar times, but hopefully it's a simple fix.

I use a two-monitors setup, and I have CW on the left monitor and undocked windows on the right one: typically for the console or the tempo map (full screen) or sequencer  (typically a fit-size window). Of course a new project starts with the various windows docked, so I undock the interesting window (say the console), move it to the right monitor and maximize it. When saving the project, CW remembers this which is great.

So  far so good.

However, I often  compose ideas switching between a demo I build piece by piece in CW and some other application.
Typically that's a text editor where I am writing the lyrics and updating them to find the best flow with the music, or a browser, whatever.

In doing so,  I often close the undocked window (not CW) on the right while it is maximized full screen. 

After a few minutes, I reopen the same window (say the console) using the keyboard shortcut (or the "Views" menu).. CW opens the window undocked, but immediately resizes it to whatever not-full screen size it had before being maximized. 

So I have to go and click to maximize it again. 😭  

This  thing can repeat itself dozens of times in a writing or mixing session, and its mightily annoying.

It seems that the menu is opening the window and then for some reason issuing it a request to toggle its size from maximized to not maximized.  Which makes no sense, no other program I use insists in returning a window in non-maximized state if it had been closed as maximized (within the same runtime session, of course, I would understand if I were closing Cakewalk), 

So, the request:

•  would it be possible to fix that behavior, and re-open an undocked window in exactly the same state it was when it was closed?
    (if it was closed maximized, keep it maximized, if it was closed not maximized, keep it not maximized)

I love CW to bits, but this would really make me love it more!

Every single unnecessary click is incredibly frustrating when you're balancing a guitar in front of the desk and trying to focus on the music or the mix.

If there's already a way to change that behavior, happy to be told of course!

Thanks!

-Cris

Edited by Cristiano Sadun

Have you tried a solution using Workspaces? Not sure it will meet your needs, but I have a number of special project workspaces that retain the location, size, and state of various windows including floating windows and other windows/panes.  Just a thought if you haven't tried it yet.

I have 2 monitors as well with the main CBB track view on my left and the Multidock on the right 

Have you tried using the " D" key to instantly minimise & restore the Multidock ? This will work as long as you have CBB in focus.

My screen record only shows one screen but this is my right hand screen as I read the forum and then restore the undocked console view.

19 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I think it's down to Windows not Cakewalk

Haven't seen Cakewalk code, but definitely Windows does what the programmer asks it to do - at the very least with ..windows  😄. There's plenty of docking frameworks around, and I haven't seen any with that behavior. I suspect it's a bug - a resize of that kind after reopening a window would make perfect sense when the window is docked, and a check that the windows is floating is probably missing.

But no need to speculate - hopefully a developer with access to the code will pick this thread up.

Edited by Cristiano Sadun

12 minutes ago, Cristiano Sadun said:

a resize of that kind after reopening a window would make perfect sense when the window is docked

well actually I would prefer it to remember it's state even when docked, that's because I would like my project template to have the console view maximized and just pulled down (with D key) so everytime I open or create new project I could just click the D and have the console view full screen in my face :) 

14 minutes ago, chris.r said:

well actually I would prefer it to remember it's state even when docked, that's because I would like my project template to have the console view maximized and just pulled down (with D key) so everytime I open or create new project I could just click the D and have the console view full screen in my face :) 

Yes absolutely, even better! Let's cross fingers. Is there a way to vote for bugfixes? :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cristiano Sadun said:
1 hour ago, chris.r said:

give it 5 stars at the top right under topic title

Done, both on mine and your request!

sorry I should have said "at the top left, right under the topic title"... d'oh 🤡🤣

Edited by chris.r