APCmini ACT preset/setup

mr wpg

Does  anyone know where i can either find a preset for the Akai APCmini to use it with ACT or a recent tutorial from someone on how to set it up. I don't want to have to ditch cakewalk after only just learning it but ACT is extremely convoluted and makes no sense, even with "Sonar" video's showing the process.

ACT is no more convoluted then Ableton scripting, the difference is Akai supports Ableton and doesn't support Cakewalk...

Instead of videos, I recommend to read the documentation: https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf page 1272+

You can use 8 (+shift) buttons and 8 faders of your controller with  "ACT MIDI Controller plug-in". You can use more buttons with "Generic Surface plug-in". The functionality is more or less limited by strip and (VST) plug-ins controls.

If you want to use APC with Matrix view (something in Ableton direction), that is assigned in the Matrix view itself (ACT does not support it).

APC is a controller specially designed for Ableton, which in turn has rather special work flow. Cakewalk likes "mixer" controllers (Mackie or clones). You can try to use APC with Matrix / assign some commands to buttons / use faders for VST controller (with ACT or MIDI learn). In practice that is not controller which steer Cakewalk well, I will say "X-Touch Mini" is minimal (and the cheapest) in the right direction. 

5 hours ago, azslow3 said:

ACT is no more convoluted then Ableton scripting, the difference is Akai supports Ableton and doesn't support Cakewalk...

Instead of videos, I recommend to read the documentation: https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf page 1272+

You can use 8 (+shift) buttons and 8 faders of your controller with  "ACT MIDI Controller plug-in". You can use more buttons with "Generic Surface plug-in". The functionality is more or less limited by strip and (VST) plug-ins controls.

If you want to use APC with Matrix view (something in Ableton direction), that is assigned in the Matrix view itself (ACT does not support it).

APC is a controller specially designed for Ableton, which in turn has rather special work flow. Cakewalk likes "mixer" controllers (Mackie or clones). You can try to use APC with Matrix / assign some commands to buttons / use faders for VST controller (with ACT or MIDI learn). In practice that is not controller which steer Cakewalk well, I will say "X-Touch Mini" is minimal (and the cheapest) in the right direction. 

Thanks for the response.

I'm not a fan of Ableton if i'm honest but a friend handed me some free hardware.... what you gonna do...

I was hoping to use it as a hardware controller for the MPC2000XL vst....

• 1 year later...

Is there anything new here? I bought an APC mini from Akai. Actually, mainly for lighting control via MIDI. Now I wonder if it could also be used for the matrix view to play and record clips etc. Loop recording I would also like to do with it, as well as beat making with the step sequencer.

Does anyone have experience with this or ist anything new?