Which SampleTank 4. VST 2 or 3

DocBob

My brief experiment with identical setups... 3 instances of ST4 each with 8 parts loaded.   VST 2 wins easily. VST3 has clicks, stutters  and delays unless I set  the buffers so high that latency becomes intolerable.

Edited by DocBob

13 hours ago, Promidi said:

Personally I have found the VST2 version to be more stable than the VST3 version - especially when using multiple tracks.

I find I have to use several instances as ST4 itself is not multi-threaded.

What do you mean by “not multi-threaded?” 

1 hour ago, DocBob said:

What do you mean by “not multi-threaded?” 

In practice, if you have 10 instruments in your project then few instances of ST4 with 2-3 instruments per each should handle it better than a single ST4 instance with all 10 instruments.

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

In practice, if you have 10 instruments in your project then few instances of ST4 with 2-3 instruments per each should handle it better than a single ST4 instance with all 10 instruments.

With my current system, Intel i5-9600K at 4.6Ghz, I start getting breakups (pops & crackles) with 8 instruments loaded in a single instance of ST4 using ASIO at 256 buffers (24/48000).

If I run a CPU monitor I can see one core (of 6) doing all of the heavy lifting. When that core gets over 50% on that single thread is when I start hearing noise.

With my old dual core at 3.4Ghz I only got about 3-4 instruments per instance. YMMV.

VST2 or VST3 doesn't seem to make any difference in this regard, as well as setting plug-in load balancing on/off in Cakewalk preferences. I recall Noel mentioning somewhere that load balancing only applies to effects rather than instruments. This seems to be more of an issue with the new ST4 library.

So if instruments are single threaded, then separate instances would be necessary to share the load. I did notice that if you are using the older ST3 based libraries in ST4, they are less CPU hungry. The ST3 engine is included within ST4 for compatibility with the older instruments.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, abacab said:

With my current system, Intel i5-9600K at 4.6Ghz, I start getting breakups (pops & crackles) with 8 instruments loaded in a single instance of ST4 using ASIO at 256 buffers (24/48000).

If I run a CPU monitor I can see one core (of 6) doing all of the heavy lifting. When that core gets over 50% on that single thread is when I start hearing noise.

With my old dual core at 3.4Ghz I only got about 3-4 instruments per instance. YMMV.

VST2 or VST3 doesn't seem to make any difference in this regard, as well as setting plug-in load balancing on/off in Cakewalk preferences. I recall Noel mentioning somewhere that load balancing only applies to effects rather than instruments. This seems to be more of an issue with the new ST4 library.

So if instruments are single threaded, then separate instances would be necessary to share the load. I did notice that if you are using the older ST3 based libraries in ST4, they are less CPU hungry. The ST3 engine is included within ST4 for compatibility with the older instruments.

Very useful information, thanks.  Explains a lot.

• Like 1