vocal sync

I've never used this feature and was going to give it a try today as I'm just laying down some harmony parts. So am I correct in assuming the harmony parts phrasing gets synced to the lead vocal?  I was also going to try the phoney way and use Melodyne but actually singing it seems easier . 

You specify a guide track, and that's what your track will sync to. Sometimes Vocal Sync works really well, sometimes...not so well. It's happier with shorter segments to chew on.

What works best for me is to try it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, I locate the part that's causing difficulty, fix it manually via stretching, and then try again.

I always work with short clips anyways.  Once I'm 100% happy with a vocal track I work my way along and highlight and delete all "silence" Most times there is in-breath and even headphone bleed this really cleans things up and it doesn't take that long. I also add fade in's and outs to cover other artifacts. 

So I tried it and it worked. Seems the rendered part shows the original waveform on top and the new adjust one on the bottom. In the first shot you can see the harmony ( lower track) was late on last to phrases. Vocal aline seemed to correct this perfectly. Cool.  

2019-03-12.png

2019-03-12 (1).png

11 minutes ago, Tamara Vodvarka said:

I have been trying to figure out why, when I import my .wav files, it imports my vocals as munchkins, or if I import the vocal first, then the instruments are imported in a different key completely...why???

Funny you should mention this, I tried to import a video file whose audio was recorded at 22Khz (a camtasia presentation), and it did exactly the same.

I thought that changing the import file depth to match the project depth might help, but it doesn't.

Is your .wav file recorded at a sample rate smaller than 44.1Khz?

[Edit] - I still can't work out why the import does this, but this is how I fixed it afterwards:

no_more_munchkin.gif

Edited by msmcleod

4 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

Once I'm 100% happy with a vocal track I work my way along and highlight and delete all "silence" Most times there is in-breath and even headphone bleed this really cleans things up and it doesn't take that long. I also add fade in's and outs to cover other artifacts. 

Have you tried using Volume automation instead ?

Keeping clips intact/one whole clip is essential for future proof use.

Well the Vocal sync was only a minor success.  As Craig said, works sometimes.  And not only that, I find it best to just avoid regional effects. They seem to create other issues.  

Chuck- 

The actual original audio files are  left intact in the audio folder.  Splitting audio only creates references to the original audio file it does not alter the original file.  I used to use the envelopes until I discovered the keyboard short cut S as well as the fact you can drag the mouse to highlight and delete. I find this method is more precise and for me much faster. It is closer to the workflow of a wave editor. 

I work on the track soloed, You can quickly listen to your edits and make minor adjustments buy dragging the clip start or end.  Perfect for removing breath intakes a split second before the word. And the fade outs can clean up falling pitch artifacts. 

Not only that now you are totally free to add an uncluttered volume envelope for mixing purposes. 

You can see in my screen shot that there is only the 8 files created as I originally recorded. If I had recorded the vocals in one take there would only be one audio track.   My splitting resulted in there being over 20 clips but still the same 8 original audio files. .  

2019-03-13.png

Edited by Cactus Music