First Time Mixing Real Drums

Vernon Barnes

This is enlightening and enjoyable. I have drum stems from 17 channels not too dissimilar to what you would get in Superior Drummer. Of course the big difference is the bleed, you can't just turn it down of turn it off. 

Having used Superior Drummer does give a good insight in how to start setting up buses and give some pointers to FX options.

I think I should check Groove 3 and Creative Sauce to see if they have any useful videos for further pointers.

3 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Of course the big difference is the bleed

Actually -not- something to turn off if you prefer a "livelier" sounding drum kit.  Here's a link on how to have some fun with it.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/spill-can-be-your-friend-podcast

One of the reasons I liked BFD3, which built in a few bleed options. 

8 hours ago, jackson white said:

Actually -not- something to turn off if you prefer a "livelier" sounding drum kit.  

I seldom turn it off completely in Superior Drummer but I may play with the levels or turn it off on one channel if I want a more processed sound for that drum. Thanks for the video link I will look later.

I think working with the real drums will have a positive knock on when working with virtual drums.

4 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I seldom turn it off completely in Superior Drummer

👍 I might have to carve out some time to take a closer look at SD3. The lack of any update on BFD3 is making me a little uneasy. 

4 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

working with the real drums will have a positive knock on when working with virtual drums.

👍 Just like working with a real drummer. Always got better results based on thinking what a real drummer might do vs. trying to pick a groove clip or MIDI pattern. Mixing real drums was an interesting exercise in managing phase for me. 

9 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I think working with the real drums will have a positive knock on when working with virtual drums.

It has actually turned me off from working with virtual drums. Primarily due to the human feel you get with  live drums.