WaveLength

KSband

Thanks guys! I've been having a hard time telling if the bass is good or not. I listen on my monitors, headphones and then bluetooth headphones and then in my car. The car is the only thing with a subwoofer and my mix sounds bassy in there. I may need a sub to go with my Event 20/20's.

Nice work! I feel your mixing pain. I finally broke down and bought a pair of Slate VSX headphones. Has a plugin with a bunch of different room emulations (including two cars, lol).  Oh man, what a difference. They were a little pricey but they are way cheaper than getting a decent set of monitors and fixing the acoustics in my room. I'm not endorsing them, mind you, just telling you what I did to try to solve the very same problem with bass that you describe.

Kurt, this is the kind of music that I listened to when I was studying theory, back in the day.  I like your guitar work and mix which has a lot of breathing room and good dynamics.  The drums are well mixed, too, but I'm not sure they match the rest of the arrangement as well as they could.  I'm not a drummer so take that with a grain of salt.  I believe a slight uptick on them would make this mix stellar.  Hope you don't mind.

@kurt soderquist As promised I am now listening on my Event 20/20's driven by my TEAC A-X 5030 amp the tonal balance is fine, bass is nice a clear without dominating., drums have a pleasant presence again with the kick just poking through when it needs to, guitar nice and clear.  I suspect you would be wasting you money on a sub. 

How do you have your 20/20's mounted? 

Mine are on stands that have what they call Axminister spikes sticking through the carpet, then I have cheep brass Isolation Cones which support the monitors themselves.  Meaning the Monitors are pretty much isolated from the room, they are two feet from the rear wall a foot in from the side walls which have sound treatment  there is also bass traps behind them as well.

Thanks for listening.  Mine are on wood stands pretty much at head level when I'm seated.  The issue may be with the sound in the car. I don't usually listen to my Bluetooth phone in the car. I'm going to put my tunes on the USB drive that I usually use in there and see how it sounds. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

I listened on Eris 3.5's lol sounded really good.  I can listen to this type of jazz all day long and never tire of it.  What guitar are you using?

It's my much loved Gibson es135 with 57 paf's and using Biasfx2 plugin for the amp. Thanks for checking it out. 

Not a 135 guy myself, but the ‘57’s in a 339 I owned were light years better than the ‘burstbuckers in a R7 I had. I tend towards Fralins mostly, closest I’ve found to the paf’s I had back in the day. ( this is according to my wife who has suffered through countless hours of my playing and “big guitar hunts; then and now). 
fusion is not my go to when I pick up a guitar, but I’m fluent enough for a 👍’s on this tune. 
well done

t

Thanks man. I've never tried the burstbuckers. My wife's les paul has 490t and something else but they sound pretty good , hotter than mine though.  Hate the weight of that guitar, don't like playing it. It was the only guitar we have that the fishman midi pickup fit so unfortunately I do have to play it.

• Like 1

That. was. too. short.

Loved it. the tight vibe, the separation of instruments, all great. I agree with a bit more drum splash and variety in the fills. Sometimes you fill in the middle of a "verse" but what the hades who cares. I thought the bass sat very well, didn't overpower  a thing. Perfect ending except, too soon.  You might add another guitar solo by picking up a different guitar and letting 'er rip. I'd also agree, lead guitar up louder just a smidge.

Quality jam, bruh.

cheers,

-Tom