Court Jester's Waltz-Original

Johnbee58

It's been a while since I wrote something in a 3 or 6 bar, but here finally is one.  I tentatively called it "Court Jester's Waltz" thinking it would be like a "working title" till I found something better, but I decided to keep it and develop the concept of a guy being kicked around by a lover, bad friend or just a rotten person with the attitude like "OK, if it makes you feel good to make me feel like a clown I'll play along.  What have I got to lose"?  And the  "waltz" bit?  Well, I just get a kick out of a jester waltzing around by himself.

Piano & drums by Toontrack.  Bass by Trilian Bass Module. Soprano sax solo by Garritan Jazz & Big Band.  String Ensemble by NI Session Strings Pro.  Occasional laugh track by YouTube.

https://johnbowen.bandcamp.com/track/court-jesters-waltz

😃John B

Edited by Johnbee58

Thanks SPAK, InstrED, Daryl and Wookiee.

It took a lot of effort to get those vocals as good as they are.  Let's just say that Melodyne has earned it's place in my equipment cache. 😉

😀John B

Edited by Johnbee58

Those are some chords. Very nice jazz structures.

I liked the vocals, and especially in the chorus where it was effected.

For some reason, when I listen your melody choices, I end up picturing your sung lines as if played by a really good trumpet player. I think as an instrumental, with soloing trumpet, it would be great as well.

Then I realized your singing style invites this comparison, as you choose a lot of "falls" at the end of your lines. It's a very cool style, but my only qualm is that you might be using those falls just a bit too often in your vocals? That's such a personal thing, a style thing, but for a comment, maybe worth considering.

Your melody lines work, and especially, kudos for fitting the melodies to those very solid jazz chords. Impressive.

cheers,

-Tom

1 hour ago, emeraldsoul said:

Those are some chords. Very nice jazz structures.

I liked the vocals, and especially in the chorus where it was effected.

For some reason, when I listen your melody choices, I end up picturing your sung lines as if played by a really good trumpet player. I think as an instrumental, with soloing trumpet, it would be great as well.

Then I realized your singing style invites this comparison, as you choose a lot of "falls" at the end of your lines. It's a very cool style, but my only qualm is that you might be using those falls just a bit too often in your vocals? That's such a personal thing, a style thing, but for a comment, maybe worth considering.

Your melody lines work, and especially, kudos for fitting the melodies to those very solid jazz chords. Impressive.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom.  I sang the song as I felt it.  It's kinda like I created a character and was delivering a dramatic performance.  The song is from the viewpoint of a person with a broken spirit and giving up on trying to look like anything other than an idiot that the person he's addressing seems to want to treat him as.  That would, as I see it, be the cause of the vocal "falls".  When a person is depressed and has given up his/her voice is subject to that kind of inflection.

🙂John B.

John, you often take the road less traveled, and that's exactly why I like this tune.  I like nearly always being surprised by you, and I share your taste in music.  I've noticed that most people who've been coming to this site and the old one for any length of time just keep getting better.  I look forward to your next song!