So Very Far

Douglas Kirby

Hi Eveybody,

This is a track off of the album I'm currently working on called "The Westerly Sessions Vol. IV". 

The lead vocal was sung with a Senheisser MK 4 - a mic I pickup up recently - used for a decent price. Very cool mic - I like it a lot. Also, I used my ART MPA Gold preamp as well.

The lead guitar parts were played with my Fender Strat through TH-U.

The bass is an Ibanez SR500.

The drums are AD2.

As always, any comments and critiques are welcome, and thanks for listening.

Here it is:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14142038

• Like 1

Doug
Just excellent guitar, the arrangement and playing. Your voc sounded a little different to me, maybe because of your new mic? Sounds really good. I noticed the free download icon on your site which makes me shake my head.  So many musicians like you make better music than what's currently popular but never get heard beyond forums like this. Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

felt like I set the needle down on a favorite classic LP.

That’s Kirby!

👍’s Doug

t

I should know the chord your playing on the “so very far”, sadly I must admit I can’t snap my fingers and say...

I’ll sit down when I get home and “finger” it out (no pun intended, or not...)

Hi Douglas . . . had another listen or two on a Friday night to this one, and it really is something special. It has a great old analog warmth in the recording. The guitar playing is simply masterful. The vocal is no slouch either. I hope you know how good this is . . . so, I'll tell you. It's good. Hope you get the recognition you deserve.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 3:10 PM, bjornpdx said:

Doug
Just excellent guitar, the arrangement and playing. Your voc sounded a little different to me, maybe because of your new mic? Sounds really good. I noticed the free download icon on your site which makes me shake my head.  So many musicians like you make better music than what's currently popular but never get heard beyond forums like this. Hope I'm wrong.

Thanks Bjorn. Yeah, the Seinheisser MK4 is smooth with detail - I like it a lot. Also, thanks for your kind comments.

On 11/20/2020 at 9:52 AM, mark skinner said:

Douglas , Great song and a classic vintage vibe. I thought the vocals and treatment was fantastic. It felt like I set the needle down on a favorite classic LP.   Enjoyed it very much ..  mark

Thanks Mark - I used the Waves Abbey Road Vinyl plug-in on the stereo master - it adds a bit of vinyl warmth to the mix. Glad you liked it.

On 11/20/2020 at 11:13 AM, DeeringAmps said:

That’s Kirby!

👍’s Doug

t

I should know the chord your playing on the “so very far”, sadly I must admit I can’t snap my fingers and say...

I’ll sit down when I get home and “finger” it out (no pun intended, or not...)

Thanks Tom - Happy Thanksgiving. The chord is just minor variations of E minor - I forgot what they are called.

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, Lynn Wilson said:

Douglas, this is a terrific song and production.  You've captured the sound and feel of an era of music that is sorely missed.  Thanks for providing the details of your recording, as it shows what can be done in the box with CW.  Keep it up!

Thanks Lynn - I think you do a pretty good job of showing what can be done with CW as well - Happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 1:43 AM, noynekker said:

Hi Douglas . . . had another listen or two on a Friday night to this one, and it really is something special. It has a great old analog warmth in the recording. The guitar playing is simply masterful. The vocal is no slouch either. I hope you know how good this is . . . so, I'll tell you. It's good. Hope you get the recognition you deserve.

Thank you very much for the kind comments - this forum really helps to motivate me regarding songs and production - cheers.