Problem Cakewalk and Roland OctaCapture

Alcar28

On 3/15/2019 at 12:12 PM, synkrotron said:

I notice that you are still on Windows 7. Have you installed the latest Roland driver from here:

Yes, that's what I've done as soon as I bought the device

Here is the screenshot of the octacapture settings

UuffGlp.png

18 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I wonder if your focal 50 being plugged into your PC is causing a problem because that is presenting itself as an audio interface as well.

No, the Focal 50 are just plugged in my octacapture, just as monitors, not plugged in the PC.

One last thing, I tried to go back to ASIO mode and then, as I said in a previous post, I had an error message.

I decided to open CbB on an empty project, no error message. Then I loaded an old project file with some virtual instruments and audio, I could hear the music. Then, I load the project file I'm working on, and, ... guess what : No sound (but no error message).

Then I went back to WDM, and ... Sound is back.

I really don't understand what's happening to my system, it might be a simple thing that we don't see.

Thanks to all for trying to help me.

This may be totally irrelevant, if so, ignore me. I did not see anyone referring to this in the above posts.

Mysterious sound/no sound issues of many kind have (at least in the past) often been caused by CW  "hijacking" the drivers. "Check Share drivers with other programs"  used to be a relatively common answer in the past. I don't even know if that option exists anymore.

• Like 1

I had this problem with my Octa-capure on a regular basis. Windows (Youtube in google chrome etc..) sometimes grabbed the Octa-capture and would not release it. My solution was to re-activate the on board sound card. When this "lock" occured, I clicked on the sound icon in the taskbar, and assigned the onboard card to windows.
And with a tiny "click" from speakers, Cakewalk would get access to the Octa-Capture.

• Like 1

I have similar issues occasionally with my Quad Capture. It not frequent but It's annoying when it happens. It has also happened with stand alone Guitar Rig and some synths outside of Cakewalk.

I would say it started happening a few months ago so it may be related to an update. I will certainly try some of the suggestions in this thread to see if I can get back to stability.

Roland drivers are not well behaved with automatic switching of sample rates. In fact some require manual intervention. 

If you are using ASIO and Windows simultaneously with the same device its a bit of a crapshoot since the ASIO device may be using the device at one sample rate while Windows will try it the default in Windows. I even had some issues with Focusrite in this regard. I solved it by setting windows to use the same sample rate that I was using in Cakewalk and so far its been fine. It also works pretty well with RME devices.

But generally I would keep Windows independent from the device that you are using in ASIO mode and you should not have issues. There are many who are using the Quad Capture successfully in ASIO mode.

• Like 2

Hi Noel,

Thanks for helping. Is 24 bits the best sample rate to use in a DAW ?

I set Cakewalk to 24 and went to windows to set all my audio devices do 24.

I first used octa-capture for both DAW and windows sound, but then, advised by Roland, I set my default board device to windows sound, and my octacapture only for DAW but that doesn't work either.

I edited all I can in windows parameters to be sure that all parameters were the same in windows and in Cakewalk.

I uninstalled Roland drivers about more than 20 times with no success ...

Hope someone can find the problem, I'd like to have stability again, hard to work ...

Thanks

I just checked again in windows, I saw that in recording, it was in 16 bits, so I set all to 24 like in Cakewalk.

Once in CbB I set again to ASIO, and then ... when I play, ... NO SOUND ...

Here is the screenshot, you can see signal in green, but can't hear anything.

Ycx9mcj.png

3 hours ago, Alcar28 said:

Hi Noel,

Thanks for helping. Is 24 bits the best sample rate to use in a DAW ?

I set Cakewalk to 24 and went to windows to set all my audio devices do 24.

24 is bit depth not sample rate. 

Sample rate examples are 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96...

I agree with others that your conflicts are coming from another device sharing your driver.

For me, if I'm watching Netflix while doing exports or setting up for the night etc and changing projects that have different sample rates, i might have to hit f5 on my movie to get it to reload using the current device sample rate.

I use asio. My solution to your problem would be to discover the device using my interface at a different sample rate and take action to make them match.

The project you have that has recurring issues is not matching the other app. Try a new project at a different rate. Like if you've been using 44.1, try 48 or vice versa. Switch back to asio and see if you get the alerts. I find double and half rates work fine together, like 88.2 works with 44.1 in anther app, but 48 will collide causing the message you see when Netflix is using 44.1.

Again, i usually just refresh my browser window.

Edited by Gswitz

Thanks you for trying to help.

The problem is I don't have any other device using my interface, no other software opened.

In windows, where can I see if the sample rate is ok ?

In Cakewalk, I usually set it to 44.1

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Alcar28 said:

Thanks you for trying to help.

The problem is I don't have any other device using my interface, no other software opened.

In windows, where can I see if the sample rate is ok ?

In Cakewalk, I usually set it to 44.1

Thanks

Do the sample rate/bit depth settings on OctaCapture's ASIO control panel match what Cakewalk is set to?

Yes it is the same.

I tried to open an old project and a demo song from Cakewalk and now I have sound.

But when I open my actual project, I get this error message again

MBtwhdU.png

Coult it be possible that I have a problem in a project ?

This one uses Play by east West (3 instances) and Aria by Garritan (just a piano sound for sketching)

I have 16 Go RAM.

Thanks

Make sure the sample rate for new projects in audio preferences are set to same sample rate that the device is set to.
Silence while playing can mean that the device didn't properly switch to the requested sample rate from the DAW.  
Many ASIO drivers do not support multi-client use so you must give the ASIO application exclusive use of the device when it is being used. In cakewalk the setting for this is in preferences | Audio | playback and recording | Suspend audio engine when Cakewalk not in focus 

What complicates it further is that different applications may try and use the audio driver using different driver modes. Windows will use WASAPI and try and share the device while you are using it in ASIO mode. This can cause a problem with some drivers if Windows is using it at 48k and the DAW is trying to use it at 44.1 if the audio interface doesnt support it.  Some modern devices handle this without a problem if they handle true multiclient use but others have issues. The roland drivers definitely don't handle this well and I've even seen Focusrite devices have problems when another app tries to use the device (e.g youtube). RME on the other hand does this pretty seamlessly.

Here is a thread discussing similar considerations.

Thanks Noel,

I understand what you mean, but for Windows, I don't use Roland OctaCapture at all. In the control panel, the default device is set to the onboard one.

From the beginning, I never changed the sample rate. Always 44,1, either in Octacapture driver settings or in Cakewalk.

The bit depth is set to 24 (it was 16 in Windows, but I changed it to match with Cakewalk.

I'll check "suspend audio engine ..." to see if it works, but I think I already tried that by the past.

My goal is to use Roland Octacapture just for the DAW, and only for it. So I don't want to use it in a multiclient way.

Thanks