Problem Cakewalk and Roland OctaCapture

Alcar28

Hi,

Does anyone use Cakewalk by Bandlab with Roland OctaCapture ?

I bought it at the end of decembre and I still have problems with it, I was losing sound in my DAW very often, forced to shutdown the card down then swith it on again !

I contacted roland's support, yesterday they told me to try WDM instead of ASIO. It seemed to work, as I didn't losed the sound any longer, but now, I get a message from time to time (I would say nearly 50 %), telling me that audio device could be in use somewhere else. Then I click OK and next time, the music will play ...

Any idea of the solution ?

I try to post a link as well for the screenshot as last time, someone on the forum told me to do this because he couldn't see anything with my image.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ynNlwkRVQBv1NauAvP5VAX1owm7I_IXJ

Thanks

ScreenshotWDM.png

I use the OCTA-CAPTURE audio interface and it works well for me.

I cannot see or understand your image and the link you posted does not work for me.

Could you please provide more information about about your system, its configuration and the problem you are having? I will do my best to help.

cheers

andy

I use a Quad Capture and I would recommend making sure that you have listed the Octa Capture driver as an exception in your antivirus program. There is something weird that seems to have happened under windows 10 with the older Roland devices. My PC kept wanting to switch or deactivate the driver. Listing it as an exception fixed all the freeze ups and issues I was having with it.

Also, make sure that you do not have Cortana speech recognition enabled (i.e. "Hey, Cortana"). That'll mess things up as my three hours of painful research taught me this past weekend! (I use an Octa-Capture with the latest firmware and drivers from Roland. I use the ASIO drivers...)

I also used the sysinternals tool "procexp.exe to see what processes were using the audiosess.dll file.

Good luck.

If you've got an on-board sound device, make sure that is enabled and assign Windows sounds to that. That way only Cakewalk will be using your Octa-Capture.

Your on board sound device may have other output "devices" listed, e.g. a digital output as well as the analogue one (usually labelled "Speaker output"), or an HD output.

Disable all of them apart from the speaker output, and make sure the speaker output is what Windows is set to using. 

I'm unsure as to why ASIO isn't working as well as WDM. Usually, WDM performs far worse than ASIO. But if you are using WDM, make sure Cakewalk is only using your Octa-Capture.

You'll now have to work out how to listen to the sound output from your on-board card if you need it.

Personally, I plug mine directly into my 27" monitor as it has audio inputs. 

An external mixer (even a passive one) could work - e.g. previously I had it plugged into the 2nd input on my Mackie BigKnob Passive so I could switch between them, but plugging it into a spare input on your Octa Capture could also work I guess.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me.

10 hours ago, synkrotron said:

Could you please provide more information about about your system, its configuration and the problem you are having?

I'm running a PC with i7-2600K, CPU 3.40 GHz, 16 Go RAM, Windows 7, SSD for system, 1 To HDD  for libraries, 1 To HDD for projects.

34 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

If you've got an on-board sound device, make sure that is enabled and assign Windows sounds to that.

That's done. First, someone told me to disable the onboard sound device in the Bios, finally I unabled it again yesterday and assigned Windows sound.

Disable all of them

I'll try that, disabling the digital outputs and inputs.

if you are using WDM, make sure Cakewalk is only using your Octa-Capture. 

I disabled all other sound devices (on-board) in Cakewalk.

I plug mine directly into my 27" monitor as it has audio inputs.

That was my idea, I use Focal 50, and I can plug my PC output directly in it. Or maybe I can use my old Tapcoe S5 by Mackie, which I don't manage to sell. They could be used only for that kind of purpose ...

For the image, I'll see how I can do ...

Does that work ? https://ibb.co/GxHPs2z

Edited by Alcar28
adding image hosting link
  • Like 1

The error message is a bit vague, as it's saying either:

1. It can't open the audio device at all; or
2. It can open it, but not at the given sample rate (i.e. 44.1Khz / 16 bit)

In either case, it looks like some other program (or Windows) is using your Octa-Capture and/or setting it to a different sample rate or bit depth.

So first, check you've not accidentally disabled your Octa-Capture, and that it's definitely assigned to Cakewalk.

Then check that Windows isn't using your Octa-Capture (check input devices as well as output devices).

Yes, I've done that.

What is very surprising is that the problem occurs once, and then I can play the music, and then problem again, etc ...

So, I don't understand why 50% of the time I get this error message and not 100% or 0% ...

I'll try what you advice, but later on, back to work now (french music teacher it 12:00 in France)

Thanks

Could you possibly share some screenshots of your SONAR audio preferences? I would like to see how you have all your devices set up.

Regarding Windows sounds.

I haven't bothered with all the faffing around turning off this, enabling that so on and so forth.

My OCTA-CAPTURE devices and also my QUAD-CAPTURE when I use that (usually on my MS Surface) are my default audio device for everything. I have never had any problems.

Perhaps I have just been lucky over the years.

Do you hibernate your PC whilst Cakewalk is still running, perhaps? I have used several Roland devices (although not Octa-) and they all seem to have problems recovering from hibernation. Typically, this affects ASIO only - sound still comes through from Windows.

2 hours ago, Alcar28 said:

For the image, I'll see how I can do ...

Does that work ? https://ibb.co/GxHPs2z

To embed an image in a post requires a link to the IMAGE.

For example, using an image I uploaded to http://imgur.com. The image hosting site I have recommended since your first post. The link quoted may work if the site allows linking directly to the image.

This is a link to the page containing the image

https://imgur.com/3Oa2ztH

Adding this type of link does not embed the image because it is not an image, it is a link to the page containing the image. Similar to what was done in this thread and other attempts to embed imaged. Notice, it lacks an image extension.

This is a direct link to the image on the page

https://i.imgur.com/3Oa2ztH.png

The forum recognizes this as an image will automatically embed the full-size image like this

3Oa2ztH.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alcar28 said:
3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If you've got an on-board sound device, make sure that is enabled and assign Windows sounds to that.

That's done. First, someone told me to disable the onboard sound device in the Bios, finally I unabled it again yesterday and assigned Windows sound.

The problem some run into when running a their DAW audio interface as the default Windows audio device is the DAW and Windows are not configured to run the same sample rate. If one has projects at different sample rates, it may be convenient to run Windows audio through the onboard chip to avoid having to deal with the sample rate mismatch issue.

• Like 2

I'm sure you probably checked this but I didn't see it mentioned so I thought it was worth a mention.  In the sound tab for your sound devices, once you select your default device there is a properties> advanced tab.  Make sure to uncheck the box for allowing devices to take control.  Control Panel>Sound>Click your soundcard>Properties>Advanced>Exclusive Mode>"Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device."  I'm on Win 8.1 so it might be slightly different.

I use a Duo Capture EX and after installing BandLab Cakewalk I fought with my card for a couple days until I unchecked this box.  I also set my sound scheme to "No Sounds" and haven't had any issues since.

Also I would check your manual on switching usb ports.  On the Duo Capture whatever usb port you use when you install the driver is the one your stuck with.  Roland specifically states that changing the usb port can cause issues.  If I remember correctly, if I want to use a different usb port I have to uninstall the driver.  Change the usb port and reinstall the driver after reboot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jsteinmetz said:

Also I would check your manual on switching usb ports.  On the Duo Capture whatever usb port you use when you install the driver is the one your stuck with.  Roland specifically states that changing the usb port can cause issues.  If I remember correctly, if I want to use a different usb port I have to uninstall the driver.  Change the usb port and reinstall the driver after reboot.

Again, I must be lucky that this has never caused me a problem with either my Q-C or O-C.

@Alcar28, any chance of some screenshots of your preferences, or have you solved this issue now?

On 3/11/2019 at 8:01 PM, Alcar28 said:

Hi,

Does anyone use Cakewalk by Bandlab with Roland OctaCapture ?

I bought it at the end of decembre and I still have problems with it, I was losing sound in my DAW very often, forced to shutdown the card down then swith it on again !

I contacted roland's support, yesterday they told me to try WDM instead of ASIO. It seemed to work, as I didn't losed the sound any longer, but now, I get a message from time to time (I would say nearly 50 %), telling me that audio device could be in use somewhere else. Then I click OK and next time, the music will play ...

Any idea of the solution ?

I try to post a link as well for the screenshot as last time, someone on the forum told me to do this because he couldn't see anything with my image.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ynNlwkRVQBv1NauAvP5VAX1owm7I_IXJ

Thanks

ScreenshotWDM.png

This might be a silly question, but when you go into the sample rate settings on the Octa-Capture itself, what is it currently set to? Octa-captures can cause CbB to throw that message if the project sample rate and the device don't line up. You can get the details on how to set it on the device here

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alcar28 said:

Adviced by Roland support, I actually set my OctaCapture to work in WDM

Really?

That surprises me.

I notice that you are still on Windows 7. Have you installed the latest Roland driver from here:-

https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/quad-capture/updates_drivers/a8ad6cc7-b12c-4868-a399-8dcb2938c529/

Are you able to access the OCTA-CAPTURE software which should have a shortcut in Control Panel?

Looks like this:-

image.png.2f495619e22b0e75b98efd4a2671bdb7.png

And then from there you can alter the driver settings in this window:-

image.png.e3ecbe103bbc5cf5c35e625e507134a9.png

I am so surprised that Roland have fobbed you off with suggesting to use WDM...

One other place you need to set the audio bit depth.  Files, Audio Data,  Record bit depth and Render bit depth.

I have found it useful to have Cakewalk use my good audio interface which is an Edirol M-16DX  and have Windows use the on board sound chip for all other sounds.

I also use ASIO for Cakewalk.  In my case the Edirol is plug and play. I don't have to try to get drivers for it.  All my DAWs and Video editing programs use the Edirol.  Everything else uses the Realtek audio device.    

612771261_AudioData.JPG.c3b438f08a65b6ee23f44b5b9d5e9c95.JPG