Size of page file

Marke Burgstahler

Question

Hi all,

I just ordered some more RAM for my computer (I only have 6 GB). Has anyone experienced performance improvements by increasing the size of the page file in Windoze 10? I was going to give it a try while waiting for the additional RAM. Is this futile, or even dangerous?

Edited by Marke Burgstahler

7 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Marke Burgstahler said:

Toshiba laptop, Intel Core i3 running at 2.10 GHz.

Only my opinion...

If its the Satellite P755-S5215, The MAX Memory allowed is 4GB per slot, equaling a total MAX Memory of 8GB.

Saving your money Mark. Put it towards a new Laptop/Desktop workstation.

I know its not easy to materialize 500 - 600 dollars but your Laptops processor is not worth investing on RAM.  Matter of fact, im not even sure your CPU meets the minimum requirements to run Cakewalk by Bandlab.

The RAM upgrade might help with loading soft synths but Im afraid a 2 gig upgrade wont be that productive.

4 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Only my opinion...

If its the Satellite P755-S5215, The MAX Memory allowed is 4GB per slot, equaling a total MAX Memory of 8GB.

Saving your money Mark. Put it towards a new Laptop/Desktop workstation.

I know its not easy to materialize 500 - 600 dollars but your Laptops processor is not worth investing on RAM.  Matter of fact, im not even sure your CPU meets the minimum requirements to run Cakewalk by Bandlab.

The RAM upgrade might help with loading soft synths but Im afraid a 2 gig upgrade wont be that productive.

Hi Chuck - thank you for your comments!  All good points. Actually, my laptop is the Satellite E45W-C4200X. It has two slots, but the max RAM is actually 8 GB per slot, so I could go to 16GB (as per Toshiba and Crucial memory). But as you mentioned, the processor will likely be the bottleneck here. I have not ordered the memory yet, since I was thinking that throwing $$ at a ton of RAM into the machine with that processor is possibly better spent on a PC with a faster processor and a faster SSD.

21 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

You can build a decent one now days for under 500 bills. I built an I7 4790 4.0GHZ with 16GB of ram for under 5 but I also reused my version of windows, my SSD and case from my old rig.

Any experience with building ?

yea.....not really, and I know it would be a moneysaver if I could. I have been a Reason user for a long time, and don't run into any PC issues. However, I am really taking a liking to CbB, so I think it's time for an upgrade, and I'd imagine that Reason would run even better too! Thank you again for your comments/input.