Jamstix Sale

cclarry

7 hours ago, Uneven said:

Is it really different from Superior Drummer 3 features like "edit playing style", "groove editor", "song creator" ?

SD3 is based on MIDI loops, which it alters depending on the options you've described.

Jamstix is totally algorithm based. There's no loops involved at all (though you can import them). It uses AI techniques to model real drummers, identified by their first name, e.g.:

Animal - "Animal" - Muppets band
Carter - Carter Beauford - Dave Matthews Band
Charlie - Charlie Watts - Rolling Stones
James Stix - Ralph Zeuner - Jamstix Creator 
John - John Bonham - Led Zepplin
Phil - Phil Collins - Genesis, solo
Roger - Roger Taylor - Queen
Steve - Steve Gadd - Session Drummer, scads of groups
Stewart - Stewart Copeland - The Police
Mark - Mark Brzezicki - The Cult, Big Country
Danny - Danny Carey - Tool
Jason - Jason Gianni - Session Drummer, Instructor, Author
Lars - Lars Ulrich - Metallica
Mike - Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Neil - Neil Peart - Rush
Noah - Noah Bernardo - P.O.D.

I've got most of the packs (everything apart from Udu Utar), and there's 33 drummers in total.

I would really like to try this seeing as I have been eyeing it for quite some time. I downloaded the free version, installed and tried to load it into Studio One and it just freezes Studio One.  I also tried it in Waveform and it didn't even show up.  I have an email support request in but have not heard back.  Any ideas from those that have it.  

I have the x64 VST 2 version installed and scanned an all my hosts are 64 bit.

1 hour ago, reginaldStjohn said:

I would really like to try this seeing as I have been eyeing it for quite some time. I downloaded the free version, installed and tried to load it into Studio One and it just freezes Studio One.  I also tried it in Waveform and it didn't even show up.  I have an email support request in but have not heard back.  Any ideas from those that have it.  

The x64 version works for me in Studio One. You've probably already tried this, but maybe try disabling all other plugins (maybe it conflicts with another one)?

1 hour ago, reginaldStjohn said:

There's a bounce mode you can try if freezing isn't working properly:

image.png.2951c8a2e36af7f67c5efab4c8d0f44c.png

22 hours ago, msmcleod said:

There's a bounce mode you can try if freezing isn't working properly:

image.png.2951c8a2e36af7f67c5efab4c8d0f44c.png

Not that kind of freeze, I mean Studio One stops responding and I have to kill it.

I did get it to work in Waveform so I was able to try it out. I watched all the videos and played around with it for a while last night. I like the idea but I am not convinced that it is any faster or better then using Superior Drummer and its midi files. I usually have to had modify stuff anyway to fit what I am doing. 

I was hoping the fills in Jamstix would be useful since I am not very good with coming up with unique and interesting fills.  I tried playing around with the fills in a section for a while and was unable to get the brain to do a fill that I thought sounded very good. It just sounded like random hitting of drums. I tried all the "up, down, flat" etc. played with complexity and all the other options.  Maybe I was expecting too much?

Anyone not familiar with Jamstix have gotta check it out. It's well worth it! It takes time to learn the program but I will help immensely if you're not a drummer and are at a loss for what rhythms your jams may need. Take the time. Check it out!!!

Edited by bayoubill
I've discovered the problem with kleptomaniacs is that they always take things literally

37 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Not that kind of freeze, I mean Studio One stops responding and I have to kill it.

On my laptop I had issues with my NVIDIA card and Jamstix 4 - I ended up forcing CbB to use the onboard graphics, and this solved it.

I had no issues on my desktops.

In the Jamstix Manager, there's a few options you can try to tackle compatibility problems:

image.png.e4b0ac8bbc9f3ef6dbbb6b5a8f4bbab0.png 

37 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

I did get it to work in Waveform so I was able to try it out. I watched all the videos and played around with it for a while last night. I like the idea but I am not convinced that it is any faster or better then using Superior Drummer and its midi files. I usually have to had modify stuff anyway to fit what I am doing. 

I was hoping the fills in Jamstix would be useful since I am not very good with coming up with unique and interesting fills.  I tried playing around with the fills in a section for a while and was unable to get the brain to do a fill that I thought sounded very good. It just sounded like random hitting of drums. I tried all the "up, down, flat" etc. played with complexity and all the other options.  Maybe I was expecting too much?

The learning curve is steep, and it does take a while for you to get to grips with it.

I'd recommend sticking with one style and drummer, and see how the various options affect things.

It's definitely not faster than using something like Superior Drummer (well not at first anyhow), but the results can be better and far more realistic if you stick with it.

Take a look into the MIDI import functionality. It's far easier to persuade the brain to move more in your direction this way.

Edited by msmcleod

On 3/13/2019 at 4:44 PM, antler said:

I just downloaded the free version and had a play around; it seems really impressive.

I've not used it for long so this is probably a dumb question, but how do I get it to play a drum part that I write? Would I write a basic groove, export it to a MIDI file, and then import it again as a style? If that's the case, would I typically keep it short (e.g. 4 bars); or would I write a full 16 bar verse and use that as the MIDI style? And then do I repeat for the chorus?

Sorry for so many questions; just trying to understand how it works

Excellent questions.

1. Several ways. You can set Jamstix to play the midi file from a channel you assign to it. On the top left you will see 'Midi Playback' use that to play any midi file you have. You can also import the midi file, and this is when it gets really interesting and fun. Go to Groove and click that. Then select Special Styles/Import and read the description. This is how you can use a midi file that you create (or pre-made like Groove Monkee) to create a style that you want.

2. If you write the part in Jamstix, you can save it as a new style!! And get any number of different drummers to try it and see what they come up with. Yes, it's that powerful. Or like I said previously that you can import a midi trk and save it as a new style. I don't think I have used more than 8 bars for a new style. And as little as one bar. Just depends on what your going for. Beauty of the program is you can have more than one style or drummer in a song. Yep, it's that powerful!!

3. Here is the fantastic part: Once you got the style you want, you go to the song section tell Jamstix to put an intro in, then a verse, then a pre chorus, then a chorus and let it come up with the parts on it's own! Just like you explain to a real drummer how you want a song played, then you turn him loose. Then you can select to add some swing to certain parts of the song, or the whole song. Select different power levels for each part of the song (and this affects how the drummer plays the part).This thing gets really deep. I'll just leave it there.

Will there be some fine tuning? Of course. But what you can come up with is only limited by your own input. You will have to spend time with it and the manual. I am still going back in the manual and learning. For certain songs I found that Jamstix did a better job than any of the programs I have. It was all about the feel. It's got feel. Good feel. You just have to learn how to use it. No way around that. Your time will be well rewarded.

And it's sounds are very usable. They benefit from external processing for certain. But they do have a very natural sound to them.

I believe he doesn't ask enough money for what this program can do. At this price it is a no-brainer.

Mark, thanks for the link to the videos. I will give them a watch. I also use AD to go along with or instead of the Jamstix sounds. I find it works best with AD, and not EZD.

At first  Jamstix 4 Manager didn't see internet connection. I've tryed everithinbg, like temporary turn off antivirus - it just kept show me error message.

Next day it got fixed itself somehow, but  Jamstix 4 VSTi keeps crushing on Reaper's VST plugins scan.

It worked with Cakewalk, but... Well, with that kind of start, I'm afraid it's better not to continue.

I bought Jamstix the last time there was a good sale. Still haven't had time to really dig into it. Here's a question for Jamstix users -- say I've got my song laid out and tweaked the styles and everything until I'm happy with it all, does Jamstix play different fills, etc., every time it plays the song? Or does it keep playing the same things every time through until I change something?

On 3/15/2019 at 1:28 PM, msmcleod said:

The learning curve is steep, and it does take a while for you to get to grips with it.

I'd recommend sticking with one style and drummer, and see how the various options affect things.

It's definitely not faster than using something like Superior Drummer (well not at first anyhow), but the results can be better and far more realistic if you stick with it.

Take a look into the MIDI import functionality. It's far easier to persuade the brain to move more in your direction this way.

I finally got it to open in Studio One but I had to start a new project.  I cannot try the MIDI import function with the "Free" version so I would have to buy it to try it? 

I did try adjusting all sorts of things, I don't think the learning curve is too steep it just doesn't quite behave like I was expecting.

6 hours ago, henkejs said:

I bought Jamstix the last time there was a good sale. Still haven't had time to really dig into it. Here's a question for Jamstix users -- say I've got my song laid out and tweaked the styles and everything until I'm happy with it all, does Jamstix play different fills, etc., every time it plays the song? Or does it keep playing the same things every time through until I change something?

It will keep what you generated until you force it to regenerate or change a setting. You can lock the bar to avoid this.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 12:03 PM, reginaldStjohn said:

it just freezes Studio One.  I also tried it in Waveform and it didn't even show up.  I have an email support request in but have not heard back.  Any ideas from those that have it

Cakewalk plays better with plug-ins than any other host I've tried.

Maybe give it a try in a DAW that's specifically coded to work in Windows rather than ones whose code has to be compatible with multiple operating systems.