Jamstix Sale

cclarry

Rayzoon is offering a 40% discount on its virtual drummer plugin Jamstix 4 (Standard) during the month of March.

This sale is specifically geared towards users that have been enjoying the free version of Jamstix 4 but are on the fence about getting the full version.

Rayzoon say "At just $59, this is essentially a no-brainer for anyone in need of realistic drum performances in their songs."

Get deal at www.rayzoon.com

10 minutes ago, Fwrend said:

Even if you have EZD & SD3?

Yes.

Think of EZD & SD3 as the sounds, and Jamstix as the drummer.

Jamstix doesn't use preset patterns - it uses "models" of real drummers.

I use Jamstix to drive AD2.

The sounds in Jamstix are OK, but not as good as AD2.  IMO they're better than SD3 though.

[Edit] - A note of caution though... the learning curve for Jamstix is steep. Until you understand how it works and how to leverage it, you won't be blown away by the results... at least not at first.

This guy has done a fantastic collection of in-depth tutorials: http://www.djbolivia.ca/videos.html

Edited by msmcleod
  • Thanks 1

Plus you can  use existing MIDI that you like, import it and use that as the basis for Jamstix to add realism.  Just needs a little commitment to learn.  Also the rayzoon forum is super friendly.  

Edited by Greg
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Greg said:

Plus you can  use existing MIDI that you like, import it and use that as the basis for Jamstix to add realism.  Just needs a little commitment to learn.  Also the rayzoon forum is super friendly.  

Yeah, that's the way I use it most. I write the MIDI drum part I want, then it plays it like a real drummer :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fwrend said:

Thanks for the info guys - didn't want to double up but likewise didn't want to pass up  a good deal if it added a niche of it's own in the production process.

It is indeed a good deal; but be prepared to spend some time with it.  At first I was baffled, but as with most things, the more you work with it the more sense it makes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Never used the built in sounds.  It is a unique tool to create interesting drum parts though.  

No clue how to get it to actually play an idea I have in my head, but have been able to get a number of parts I've used.  

The best way to get it to play what you want is to provide it with a MIDI file of just kick & snare.

Jamstix will then "paraphrase" your MIDI file in the style of the drummer you choose:

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, 53mph said:

does it work a bit like the humanizer in BFD? I used to love that... but haven't got round to investing in the upgrade.

Not exactly - unlike a humanizer it doesn't just change the timing/velocity of what you give it, but uses it as a basic guide for something new.

In other words, it will add hats, cymbals, possibly toms, ghost notes on the snare etc. The rhythm may change in places too. But its "based" on what you give it.

Edited by msmcleod

I just downloaded the free version and had a play around; it seems really impressive.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:05 AM, msmcleod said:

Yeah, that's the way I use it most. I write the MIDI drum part I want, then it plays it like a real drummer

I've not used it for long so this is probably a dumb question, but how do I get it to play a drum part that I write? Would I write a basic groove, export it to a MIDI file, and then import it again as a style? If that's the case, would I typically keep it short (e.g. 4 bars); or would I write a full 16 bar verse and use that as the MIDI style? And then do I repeat for the chorus?

Sorry for so many questions; just trying to understand how it works

Just now, antler said:

I just downloaded the free version and had a play around; it seems really impressive.

I've not used it for long so this is probably a dumb question, but how do I get it to play a drum part that I write? Would I write a basic groove, export it to a MIDI file, and then import it again as a style? If that's the case, would I typically keep it short (e.g. 4 bars); or would I write a full 16 bar verse and use that as the MIDI style? And then do I repeat for the chorus?

Sorry for so many questions; just trying to understand how it works

As far as I can remember, either would work (I've not used it for a while either - I've been practicing my "real" drumming). But I tend to keep the groove the same length as the part - so the full 16 bar verse. But this is usually because I've got more complex things going on, like accents in specific places.