Volume and Pan control

Slavik

Hello everyone! 

I've created instrument track (synth) and two Midi tracks which are connected to this instrument track. I did it because every track contains different part of melody and I want to get different volume level and Pan on each... But when I change Volume or Pan level both tracks gets affected... Of course I can create two the same instrument tracks for both parts of melody to adjust them but it is extra CPU load.  Can you suggest any other option to have option to make changes of volume and pan from console?

Thanks

You can get different levels/volumes by having different velocities/expressions (depending on the synth) on the different tracks.

But the synth doesn't really care which track the MIDI data comes from, it produces audio. And so Pan can't be controlled before the synth.

The only option is 2 instances of the synth.

What synth is it? Maybe other advice you can get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

You can get different levels/volumes by having different velocities/expressions (depending on the synth) on the different tracks.

But the synth doesn't really care which track the MIDI data comes from, it produces audio. And so Pan can't be controlled before the synth.

The only option is 2 instances of the synth.

What synth is it? Maybe other advice you can get.

Most of synths I have have no channel choice option... Loom 2,  for example... I guess I have no an other option as only multiply amount of instrument tracks... :(

As noted above, this is how all synths work. MIDI volume and pan instructions are just part of the data stream and directed to whatever channel you've designated. 

(Yes, multi-timbral synths such as the TTS-1 would be exceptions, as they can act as multiple synths on multiple MIDI channels. But in your scenario that would be an overly complicated way to get it done.)

If none of these tracks play concurrently, meaning each one is truly a different part of the melody with little or no overlap, then all you have to do is automate volume and pan. It doesn't matter which track you put the automation on. You could even put the automation onto its own track if you like.

• Like 1