GR-33 Wheel amounts too high in an old file

Michael McBroom

The file has a track that I recorded using my Roland GR-33 guitar synth. I recorded this file back in my Pro Audio 9 days, 2001. This is just one of several dating from this time frame that exhibit this problem. When I bend a string using the GR-33, it lays the bent values (and vibrato too) as wheel events. I've determined by going into the event list and editing the wheel values that the existing values are exactly double what they need to be with CbB, and probably Sonar too, far as that goes.

Honestly, I don't know if I should be posting this message here or in a forum from which I usually get support answers regarding my GR-33. That is, I dunno if there's something I've inadvertently changed with it such that it interprets these wheel values differently compared to the way it lays them down now. The GR-33 has to be active so I can hear its track at all, which is why I wonder if there might be a setting I've inadvertently changed.

But to the point of editing the event lists -- is there a quicker way to change event list values besides changing each number one at a time? One file can have hundreds of wheel values that need to be adjusted, especially if I was playing with a lot of string bends and vibrato. So far, I've edited one file by hand and I'm about 10% through another with probably a couple hours at least of editing to do before I'll call this one finished.

My suggestion would be one of two:

1. Adjust the synth pitch bend range to half of what it currently is at. Synths usually have the range which a full pitch change affects. For example 2 semitones or 12 semitones. If it is set to 12 semitones (1 octave) set it to 6.

2. Show the wheel values in the controller lane in the PVR. Use the transform tool to select all the wheel events and scale them down by 1/2. This is a bit manual but you should be able to get pretty close.

image.thumb.png.c169e6ba362cc73a60a35c749b8ce63c.pngA. Transform tool B. Transform tool bounding box 

• Like 2

Bend range was the solution. The GR-33 has three settings: 24, 12, and 7. It was set to 24, so I dropped it down to 12. Interestingly, it wrote the change to the patch I had selected, apparently. Just that patch? I dunno yet.

So that problem seems to be licked. Now, the part is cutting in and out on me for some strange reason. If it isn't one thing . . .