We are naturally artistic geniuses and we don't realize it

3 hours ago, synkrotron said:

There are also lots of musicians out there that are virtuoso playing an instrument but wouldn't even know where to start when composing something original. 

So true.  I can usually rearrange a tune but I have a really hard time creating from scratch :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

So true.  I can usually rearrange a tune but I have a really hard time creating from scratch :(

I should have said that this was not meant as a negative criticism @InstrEd :)

There are people who are great at every aspect of musicianship but for most of us involved in our art we are each good at some things and not so much at others.

And then there's me haha :D

Creativity is something you either have or don't to varying degrees. If you're creative you just have to learn the language and tools, if you're not creative no one can tell you how to be. If you want to work with music learn it...take lessons...piano, flute, guitar...learn some notation...study the fundamentals- chords, keys, scales, modes, etc. Then listen to your inner voice and speak  :)

Bill

4 minutes ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

Creativity is something you either have or don't to varying degrees. If you're creative you just have to learn the language and tools, if you're not creative no one can tell you how to be. If you want to work with music learn it...take lessons...piano, flute, guitar...learn some notation...study the fundamentals- chords, keys, scales, modes, etc. Then listen to your inner voice and speak  :)

Bill

True, But my inner voice is not very good. Sometimes I think it is speaking in a foreign language 😂 

2 hours ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

Bill

When writing a melody, I heard your melody has to make sense to others and that you can't just write whatever melody you're inspired to create.  What I've been doing here is writing melodies through inspiration alone.  I just used the raw power of my emotions to create melodies that I thought were profound, powerful, and expressing of certain scenes.  I put no thought in creating my melodies and I just let the inspiration alone create these melodies.  I know I said earlier that our brains are naturally capable of creating great music in our heads with no thought at all.  But, maybe, this isn't the case.  Maybe this whole method of using inspiration alone just creates rubbish, meaningless melodies. 

These would be melodies that make no sense, musically speaking.  They'd really be like random tunes, plucked out on an instrument, by a baby.  So, that means I'd have to use another method that actually works.  If I really have to use another method, I might be lost and confused.  I might not be able to create melodies that express what I want to express to the audience.  So, currently, I'm relying on method #1 which would just be my natural inspiration/instincts in creating melodies.  I'm hoping this method works to create great melodies that express what I want to express to the audience.  Maybe my inspired melodies are great, do express the scenes I described, and I just have to find a way to bring out that power and greatness to other listeners as I said before.