CAL Script to Automate Bounce to Tracks or Export

Patrick Azzarello

Question

Being a keyboard player, I have a large number of plug-ins, and I always bounce to tracks before I mix.  

Right now I have to select the plug in and then each individual MIDI track and bounce them down, then organize them so I can mix. This is especially tedious when I'm doing any orchestral work. 

I looked at the CAL reference, but can't find a Bounce function, or a way to determine what the track type is (plug in, audio track, MIDI track).

Any suggestions?  

Thanks,

Pat

3 answers to this question

Years ago, I had a CAL script that did this but it stopped working around Sonar 5, and unfortunately I've lost the script source.

What I tend to do now, is freeze the tracks, then copy the audio over to new tracks to mix.

In saying that, there are usually some workarounds you can do with CAL - but it can be a frustrating process....

One way of bouncing is to map a key to the bounce function, then use an external DLL to "press the key" for you. Here's an old thread that suggests a similar thing:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sending-keystrokes-through-CAL-m498623.aspx

One thing I'm not sure of however, is whether the DLL in question is 32 bit or 64 bit - I suspect it's 32 bit, which may be an issue with CbB.

If I get time over the holidays, I'll do some testing to see if I can get a DLL function to work in this way.

I'm in a similar conundrum - I'm recording over 60 "live" song recordings (not recording tracks separately - recording a band "live" in the studio, 22 tracks persong without much variation).  I'd like to automate (to whatever extent is possible) the steps which I repeat often during the recording session.

N.B., I have already configured Folder paths, Global Audio, etc.

Before the session starts, I setup the environment:

• create a new project using a template
  • Save the project using the current date + 01  (which of course creates the folder but I remover the "01" from the folder name)
  • hit "R" to record

Currently, after stopping the current recording, I am manually:

• CTRL-S (to save the current project)
  • CTRL-Z (to undo the recording)
  • ALT-F, then "A" (to save the "blank" project as a new name using date + the next number in the sequence of the recording session
  • Enter "R" to begin recording the next song
  • Rinse, repeat

It would be great to automate any of the steps being taken when the band comes to the end of a song recording, beginning with hitting spacebar (or whatever) to stop the recording:

• save and close the current recording
  • open a new project (using a template that was previously created)
  • name the "new" project with the next number in the sequence of the recording session, other name?

Next I would just hit "R" to record the next song.

Rinse, repeat for as many songs as we get through.

i would think that since you're recording a performance, that after each recording, the band would organize for the next performance including tuning, effects they might use on their instruments, cheat sheets and lyrics etc. so basically just closing the recorded project (after saving it 🙂 ) and then creating a new one from the template and saving as <name>+<date> etc and a quick check to make sure the tracks are all live and getting signal, could happen while the band is prepping? if not, then perhaps setting up several projects at a time to enable nearly continuous record would work.

if you do need the macros - Auto HotKey could do it. AutoHotkey Downloads https://www.autohotkey.com/download/