Who Uses iLok?

henkejs

For years I've avoided buying any software that requires iLok. It just seemed too intrusive and clunky to me. Now I'm reconsidering. Is it true you can manage licenses on your PC without a dongle or other external hardware? How much crap does it have to install on your computer? Is the process pretty seamless once it's set up?

I'd appreciate it if people who've used iLock would share their experiences. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, henkejs said:

Now I'm reconsidering. Is it true you can manage licenses on your PC without a dongle or other external hardware?

Depends on the plug-in manufacturer.

Many offer an option to download licenses to your PC

How much crap does it have to install on your computer?

None. But it does require installing the iLok License Manager. The installer for this product adds PACE license service to run in the background on the PC.

Is the process pretty seamless once it's set up?

Depends on what "seamless" means.

Here are two ways I have seen manufacturers deliver their products.

• Buy, download and install a plug-in. As part of the purchase process or account creation the manufacturer asks for your iLok account name.
  • Run iLok License Manager. Drag the license to your PC. This is done inside the iLok License Manager UI.

and

• Buy, download and install a plug-in
  • Get a code from the manufacturer via email
  • Run ilok License Manager, supply the code and drag the license to your PC.

Either way, after adding the plug-in and the license, the plug-in is ready to scan and use.

The process is not much different than any other licensed software.

• Like 1

It depends on the software.  There's three things iLok enabled software can offer:

1. License to iLok dongle
2. License to PC
3. License to iLok Cloud Session

All iLok plugins do 1., some allow 2 and/or 3.

The other thing about iLok plugins is the number of activations they offer.  I'd prefer 3 activations per plugin... most offer 2, but some only offer 1 activation.

I've got an iLok in the studio, one in my office, and a laptop with no iLok.

I want to be able to buy the software ONCE then activate it to my 2 iLoks and also my laptop.  Software that only offers 1 activation requires me to buy several copies of the same plugin.  So if you've more than one machine, keep this in mind.

I was pretty much anti-iLok before I got one. Now I wish everything was on there.  If you've ever had to do a system rebuild, going through installing 500 plugins and authorising them is a prize PITA if you have to enter license codes for each one.  With iLok you just plug it in.

One thing to note tho - if you DO rebuild your system, make sure you deactivate your licenses first... else you'll lose them and end up having to scrounge them back from each plugin developer afterwards.

• Like 2

Not a fan.  But yes, I use it

Used the authorize to the computer method for a long time.  Got a new ilok 2 for less money than you will ever see one sell for at an Estate sale  and then started authorizing to it.

You have to install the iLok liscene manager to a computer even if you don't use the physical ilok so you can transfer the seats to the computer, cloud account or to a physical dongle.  

I must have 30 products by now, some of which only allow one authorization (Exponential Audio).

If your computer dies and your seats were tied to the computer you will be down and out until the manufacture desides to reset your seats unless you pay for ridiculious coverage.  Same deal if the ilok itself dies.

the authorization and transfers between systems is fairly solid, but not perfect.    I wouldn't expect frequent issues, but when they do arise you will likey get mad and wonder why you paid money for it.  

It is also annoying to have to have an ilok account AND an accoutn for the actual maker of the plugin.  This is the case with virtually all of them.     

Authorization to the computer is "risky" from a harddrive failure perspective, and transfering to another computer is an annoyance.  

I don't like it, but it is a requirement to use a certian set of plugins.  The izotope model isn't half bad where you can authorize to an ilok device and also authorize mutiple times to an individual computer.  This allows me to use the ilok on the go with computers I don't use frequently and tie a seat to my two primary computers that I use all the time.

Giving up a USB port for the ilok is annoying.  

You need to research the products you have or want to buy.  There are some products that only will authorize via a physical ilok (and version 2 or above) and not the comptuer based ilok authorizaiton method.     Do your research before diving all the way in.  

I've been using my iLok 2 for about 7 or 8 years now.

Not one problem with the device.

There was short time (1-2 days) where iLok severs were funky, but I've never had a problem with the physical iLok.

I even pay the $30/year for zero downtime (insurance against theft. loss or damage to the device). I have a spare on hand at all times. Have not needed it yet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The other thing about iLok plugins is the number of activations they offer.  I'd prefer 3 activations per plugin... most offer 2, but some only offer 1 activation.

Yes, but this is also a big advantage of iLok, you are able to see in the iLok License Manager how many activations are available for each plugin!

I was pretty much anti-iLok before I got one. Now I wish everything was on there.  If you've ever had to do a system rebuild, going through installing 500 plugins and authorising them is a prize PITA if you have to enter license codes for each one.  With iLok you just plug it in.

The same here! 😄

And even if you have iLok licenses linked to your system (and removed them before the system rebuild) it is an easy and predefined process that is much quicker than handling so many other different autorisation processes (developers have so many sophisticated ideas! 😆)

One thing to note tho - if you DO rebuild your system, make sure you deactivate your licenses first... else you'll lose them and end up having to scrounge them back from each plugin developer afterwards.

No, it is enough to contact ONE single developer to reset your system and then they automatically contact each other developer to approve it! Lately I had such a case (my laptop's id had changed), worked perfectly!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

and transfering to another computer is an annoyance.

But at least this is possible! With many other autorisation methods this is not possible!

9 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Giving up a USB port for the ilok is annoying.

I agree with this for laptops, but at least this is a USB used for many different plugin vendors, not only for 1.