Norwegian folk melody’s made into fugue metal hymn

Øyvind Skald

The  song is  from the Norwegian Church Songbook (Norsk Samlebok) And the lyrics is with 3 different numbers. Number 1, 278a and 278b.

I use the 278b as the main melody, that is a folk tune from Mo I Rana.

The fugue theme is the first song in the book and is a folk tune from Romedal.

And I end the song with the folk melody from Ørsta, number 278a.

The lyric is one of the greatest lyrical works from Norway, and it originally has 16 verses. But the first version has 3 verses, and the 278 has 8 verses, so I made the song with the 8 verses.

Vocals are not done jet and are just the synth melody. This is just the writing prosess of the song, and I might need to rerecord a lot to make in more pleasing. Especially the guitar leads, so this is just the writing of the melodies for now. But hey. I don’t know what to do with it, so it might not even get vocal recorded.

I hope that you don’t fall asleep but stay through.

I deleted the link to the fist version, as i will stick to the new one.

I have edited  out some of the  chromatic stuff in 4th fugue part. So it is more in the chords and not as i might have intended, that the highest guitar lead was suposed to be  out of the harmonys of the others, But I don't think it worked. So this part is  at 4:55 to 5:03. All edited in  Melodyne in CbB...

Edited by ØSkald

Hi, Oyvind,

This is a very cool epic progressive metal instrumental!👍

Great composition and arrangement, and all of the instrumentation and playing was really well done.

Fantastic guitar tones and excellent guitar playing, and lots of cool, complex melodies with twists and turns to keep the listener's interest.

You've also got a powerful sounding, clear and wide, modern metal mix that sounds perfect for the genre.

Great work, powerful piece of music!😀

Best Wishes,
Bob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Oister said:

Hi, Oyvind,

This is a very cool epic progressive metal instrumental!👍

Great composition and arrangement, and all of the instrumentation and playing was really well done.

Fantastic guitar tones and excellent guitar playing, and lots of cool, complex melodies with twists and turns to keep the listener's interest.

You've also got a powerful sounding, clear and wide, modern metal mix that sounds perfect for the genre.

Great work, powerful piece of music!😀

Best Wishes,
Bob

Ohh. Thank you sooo much. I will treasure it.

Edited by ØSkald

Thanks guys. 

Just for fun I have "analyzed" it...

Red is the first melody of the folk song used for the fugues.

Blue is the second part of it.

Green is the first part of the folk song used in the verses.

Orange is the first melody  of the song used for the fugues, but are broken up to fit the main fugue part in the bass.

But I bet you heard that ...

Fuge-1-ark-ferdig-analysert.jpg

Fuge-2-ark-ferdig-analysert.jpg

Fuge-3-ark-ferdig-analysert.jpg

Fuge-4-ark-ferdig-analysert.jpg