FREE Waves CLA Plugin (NEW)

cclarry

2 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

Without a doubt it's going to be some form of CLA Reverbs and Delays..... Or something CLA Depth.  His most recent videos on Waves website are dead giveaways.  He's doing zero mixing in the videos and just talking about all his wonderful reverbs and delays and how HE uses them.  So far this type of video, at face value, has nothing to do with Waves.  Unless it directly correlates to a new product that somehow emulates his reverb and delay workflow.

His video for the giveaway announcement you can make out a dry/wet knob for a split second on the screen he is looking at.  While that doesn't always mean reverb/delay.....I'm actually thinking you are likely on point.  

• Like 3

Just watched the video (which was quite good!) and at 8:47 he says "It's really not economically friendly to even attempt this in your DAW ... yet." (Cue epic music)

So, I tend to agree with all those who say it'll be some sort of ambience plugin that (economically) reproduces his SSL-based setup in our DAWs. Though exactly how the routing will be handled is unclear.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I'm guessing with the send/return faders :D 

Ha ha.   Yes, I've heard about those new-fangled slidey thingees. 😉

But if it's just a simple plugin that you send to, and get a wet return from, that's not novel; especially if you have to instantiate it for each instrument.  By that I mean I'm not sure how you'd get a unique buss configuration for drums, vocals, guitars, with just one plugin.

I guess what's throwing me off here is his emphasis on doing this "economically".  To me, it doesn't seem economical to use a plugin that contains four reverbs and four delays for each instrument.  And so, I assumed we'd need just one.

Edited by locrian

2 hours ago, locrian said:

I guess what's throwing me off here is his emphasis on doing this "economically".  To me, it doesn't seem economical to use a plugin that contains four reverbs and four delays for each instrument.  And so, I assumed we'd need just one.

I think what he means by "economically" is that most of the effects are set and forget, just add to taste, but I recon he also mentioned the delays are synced to the project tempo.

53 minutes ago, cclarry said:

We'll know RIGHT NOW...it's a Meter Plugin

Okay, so it's going to be Chris Lord Ambience (Clambience).  It'll have all the set-and-forget presets from the outboard gear he talked about in part 2 of his course.

And I guess you'll have to use one instance for each buss in your mix (drums, guitars, vocals,...) .  If true, it seems like it would be easier and less CPU-taxing to just use one instance of each of the 11 ambience processors he mentioned (7 verbs and 4 delays), and then just control the send levels to these via automation to obtain the overal mix "landscape".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's not out quite yet, but it looks like Production Expert jumped the gun a little bit with their intro video. 

"CLA EchoSphere" - and everyone who guessed it's in the realm of delay+reverb wins a prize! That is the plugin, for free. Everyone who guessed something different or who did not guess also wins the prize. And you may have to WUP it eventually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Boy, talk about anticlimactic!  His Mixing with Depth videos described complex combinations of nearly a dozen delay/reverb processors.  CLA EchoSphere, in contrast, comprises just slap and plate.

I'm curious how CLA/Waves will spin this plugin vis-a-vis his course.  In it he implies that we'd be able to reproduce (the semblance of) his setup.

Then again, it's always nice to receive a freebie!  😁

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, locrian said:

Boy, talk about anticlimactic!  His Mixing with Depth videos described complex combinations of nearly a dozen delay/reverb processors.  CLA EchoSphere, in contrast, comprises just slap and plate.

I'm curious how CLA/Waves will spin this plugin vis-a-vis his course. 

I agree - but I suppose they have to make it simple - his setup is too many faders for their 'dumbed down' CLA series.     It would be fairly simple to copy his setup, if you wanted ?, on most DAWs

I'm sure waves won't try to spin anything....at least the price is right :)

(FWIW I really like waves plugins and the CLA effects one gets a lot of use here)

edit

a quick listen to that production expert video - it does sound nice on that 'terrible' demo track that they are using it on

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, simon said:

I agree - but I suppose they have to make it simple - his setup is too many faders for their 'dumbed down' CLA series.     It would be fairly simple to copy his setup, if you wanted ?, on most DAWs

I'm sure waves won't try to spin anything....at least the price is right :)

(FWIW I really like waves plugins and the CLA effects one gets a lot of use here)

edit

a quick listen to that production expert video - it does sound nice on that 'terrible' demo track that they are using it on

Yes, I agree with everything you said, particularly about copying his setup to our DAWs. It took me just five minutes to do that in Cubase, and it works great!

But that's what's so strange about EchoSphere (to me); it doesn't really provide new mixing functionality or simplify a complex setup (like CLA's).  In fact, one could argue that it's not even as versatile as CLA Effects.  By comparison, EchoSphere is like a step backwards, and so I'm surprised that it was associated with CLA and Mixing with Depth.

But hey, I'm with you, I think it sounds good and certainly will give it a try in my mixes.

Cheers...

• Like 1