VST Plugin Location Guidance Request

Bill Phillips

Question

How does Cakewalk recommend that Cakewalk VST plugins be managed? I'm aware that the Advanced Install VST location option has been eliminated (greyed out). See Johathan Sasor's reply to a previous post below. I've updated that registry entry to point to my preferred Cakewalk VST plugin folder. So I think I've got that handled.

But, I've noticed that Cakewalk is also installing a lot of VST plugins in two other folders: (c:\program files\Cakewalk\shared utilities\Internal and C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins). So I'm ending up with two copies of a lot of plugins for ones I'd previously installed in my preferred Cakewalk VST plugin folder. Many of these were installed with SONAR Platinum and earlier versions as I'm a long time SONAR user. What I'm currently doing is excluding the duplicate plugins using the Plugin Manager. So far I've got 10 disabled VST2s.

PS: Are the Softube plugins that were included in Platinum included in Cakewalk? I noticed that they are on my duplicate plugins list. And is BREVERB not included? It's not on my duplicate list?

Edited by Bill Phillips

1 answer to this question

in general, i leave the CW folders as-is. i create C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins; C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins; C:\Program Files\Common\VST3 and the equiv in the x86 folder.

i've found that these folders allow VST installers to put them in these places and i don't have to fight them in the registry, INI files, or elsewhere... i have 9 or 10 folders in my VST scanner, and i periodically run the VST inventory app which dumps a CSV of all my folders configured in CW so i can check for any outliers - 32 vs 64, duplicates, etc.

i keep copies of the installer files on my backed up cloud folder so i have them should i need to reinstall, and when newer versions come out, replace the backup version. lastly, keep a PDF etc of the product license(s) with the installers so i have the keys, codes, activations, purchase receipt etc all handy... this has proven invaluable many times over years when upgrading machines, OSes, etc.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1