Use several articulations on different lines?

lychee

The whole point of groups is to combine mutually exclusive articulations (i.e. articulations that can't be played at the same time) on a single lane. 

Examples of this would be:

- Strings  - pizzicato, spiccato, legato
- Guitar - palm muted, not palm muted

If the articulations are not mutually exclusive (i.e. you can play them at the same time,  e.g. palm mute and slide), they should go in separate groups.

You'll need to check with each VSTi as to which are mutually exclusive are not.  If pressing one keyswitch cancels out another, then those keyswitches should be in the same group.  If pressing a keyswitch leaves the other keyswitch active, then they should go into separate groups.

For the most part, the VSTi's are modelled on what you can do in real life with that instrument. In other words, articulations that are based on what your right hand is doing (palm mute,  pizzicato etc) will normally be separate from what your left hand is doing (sliding, vibrato etc).  So right hand articulations should be in one group, and left hand articulations in another.... this isn't always the case though, so check what your VSTi supports.

New lanes are automatically added for each articulation map/articulation group combination.  So if the map is different, it'll be on another lane; if the group is different it'll be on another lane... if the map and the group are the same, it'll be on the same lane.

• Like 1

I think you may have solved my problem with 2 lanes. Using SoundIron Vocal plug ins. L1 are Male and L2 are feamale. With your explanation I should create 2 separate articulation groups so I can put male on 1 track and female on the 2nd. Am I understanding you correctly? That would allow me to have women using one articulation and the men another simultaneously.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Warren

After reading msmcleod very informative post. I then created 2 separate articulation groups for Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. That gave me the 2 articulation tracks I needed to have women on one and men on another. I've attached the 2 groups for anyone who has that plugin. I'll start work on their Divisi patches next.

Thanks again to this discussion group. A great source of knowledge by the participants.

Olympus Choir Full Female.artmap Olympus Choir Full Male.artmap