Bandlab acting like a riddle

So, here's the riddle:

I open a project, listen to it from start to finish, export a stereo track and close the project.

Then I open another recent project and there is no sound at all. I close the project and open it again, still no sound. (there was sound when I saved the project)

I open the same project from the previous saved mix. I get sound but static.

I check preferences and it has reset its ASIO buffer from 1024 to 256.  No human involvement. So I set it back.

Song plays beck fine for about a minute, then I get an audio dropout and playback stops.

I start playback again and check performance -- plenty of headroom.  Almost every track that can be frozen is frozen...

And it plays back fine, all the way through. I regularly empty my picture cache and clean up the C drive disk and my computer automatically defrags every night. 

Can anyone figure out the answer to this riddle?

Win 7 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

It sounds to me like the project  isn't closing completely, thus not releasing the audio driver for the next project.
Check Task Manager to see if it's still trying to close. Perhaps a plug-in is not closing in the project.

Does it still happen when you close Cakewalk instead of just a project?

13 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Is your default sample rate in preferences set the same  as the sample  rate used in the project? It's possible that your audio driver is not switching properly. You may be able to check what's going on in the driver control panel. Have you contacted lynx about this?

Do I need to update the Lynx drivers? I don't understand why that would be necessary but I guess it couldn't hurt.

Here's another clue: I just tried to open a project and it crashed before it could open. Windows ran chkdsk. I thought I had run chkdsk recently but I didn't -- I just did the disk cleanup.