Audio Files Location

Chez Jonesy

Hi all

Feel pretty silly asking this, but i'm stuck. For years and years, my wav files for Sonar have been stored in a folder of my choosing (specified in Preferences, Folder Locations) call Audio Data.  I have not changed this, and the location is the same as it has always been.

What i have noticed is that the newest wave file in this folder is from 2018. Can someone tell me where the wav's are no stored? 

Thanks

chez

For a long time now every project you create will automatically be stored in it's own folder with the CWP and the audio  folder inside.  It used to be an option called "per project folders" but now it's the default.  This is the prefered method otherwise all your audio would be in the same folder making for a huge mess that cannot be sorted out when you go looking for a track. 

So all your audio is in your project folder

Edited by John Vere

Introduced in 2004, per-project audio folders have been the default for some time.

The default location for the per-project audio folder is where ever the project is located.

This may be specified in the Save As dialog.

Keep in mind using any location other than the default results in the absolute path to the audio folder being stored in the project instead of the relative path.

The menu option Project > Audio Files details where the audio clips are stored for the currently opened project.

To convert projects that use the Global Audio Folder to per-project audio folders, open the project and use "Save As" with "Copy all audio with project" enabled to save the project to a new location.

• Thanks 1

Thank for the feed back. I figured out my error with your help.

First of all, I'm a dummy. I re-discovered that there are two places in Preferences where folders are specified. See the image below. In any case, the Audio Data storage location is specified in the Audio Data section. 

My guess is that during a recent update, my Global Audio folder was re-set back to the default (which for me was on the C drive. To keep my stuff organzed, i keep everything in a D drive, which is shown in the field below.

The point about storing audio files in the same folder as the Project is not new to me, and i suppose it boils down to personal preference. I have found that i like it better to have all of my wav's in one place, but i understand why some might not like this. 

I have been using Sonar/Cakewalk since the late 90's, so i have a lot of old files. For consistancies sake, i've just stuck with the habit of keeping wav's together. Easy for me to find them if i ever have a problem. 

But in case anyone is interested, it's easy to re-save and check the box in the "Save As' window called "Copy all audio with Project' (see picture below) and then all of the wav files will be copied into the same folder that the project file is stored in.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

chez

image.png.9a22682b576565e6d3563e515cfa3b39.png

image.png.49e9512e103de0907ac08eb55337155a.png

On startup if CbB cannot find the Global Audio folder specified in preferences, the program will silently change the preference setting to the default location.

This is one reason why I use a directory junction to change the location of the folder at the OS level instead of changing the location in preferences.

I left the defaults for both the project and global audio folder in preferences unchanged in CbB preferences but physically moved them to my D drive and linked them to C doing this:

1. Using Windows Explorer to move C:\Cakewalk Projects to D:\ 
  2. Opening a command window as administrator and typing mklink /j "C:\Cakewalk Projects" "D:\Cakewalk Projects"