Feature Request: Show the current Key next to the Meter on the Control Bar

jimlynch22

On 11/15/2020 at 1:11 AM, jimlynch22 said:

The Control Bar currenlty shows the Tempo and Meter at the Now Time.  Showing the Key in a similar fashion would be just as useful.

There's a module called "Event Inspector." Click anywhere on an empty space in the control bar. 

17785979_Screenshot(20201117-201246).thumb.jpg.dd4d757ac697e47cd1a4383ed733e364.jpg

You also have the option to disable some of the modules you don't need in the workspace manager. Go to your workspace tab and select "Manage Workspaces" and choose "Control Bar." 

I think there's a bug in it. I only noticed it now on midi files. If you bounce the midi it shows the key,  but as soon as you click of highlight the midi file again the key disappears. 

8 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

There's a module called "Event Inspector." Click anywhere on an empty space in the control bar. 

17785979_Screenshot(20201117-201246).thumb.jpg.dd4d757ac697e47cd1a4383ed733e364.jpg

You also have the option to disable some of the modules you don't need in the workspace manager. Go to your workspace tab and select "Manage Workspaces" and choose "Control Bar." 

I think there's a bug in it. I only noticed it now on midi files. If you bounce the midi it shows the key,  but as soon as you click of highlight the midi file again the key disappears. 

The event inspector shows the pitch of the selected note,  not the Key  (scale) the music is written in.

5 hours ago, jimlynch22 said:

The event inspector shows the pitch of the selected note,  not the Key  (scale) the music is written in.

So you only want the scale to be displayed, not the note and frequency it's written in? 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

I could see setting the key myself (like G) and having it as a reference for any global key shifts. So if I do a global transpose up or down, it would change accordingly, Of course I'd have to know the key in the first place which I don't often. :)

All white keys - it must be C. Oh, one black key, that's um, er, ah ... I wouldn't expect Cakewalk to figure it out.

Couldn't this requirement be satisfied by an additional arranger track? E.G:

image.thumb.png.9b0e998150d33fb8d9ec0bf147cf499f.png

I get that ideally you'd like some intelligent tools in Cakewalk attached to it, that could use the current key sig to, I dunno, offer modulations or transpositions or whatever...

Edited by Colin Nicholls

8 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Couldn't this requirement be satisfied by an additional arranger track? E.G:

image.thumb.png.9b0e998150d33fb8d9ec0bf147cf499f.png

I get that ideally you'd like some intelligent tools in Cakewalk attached to it, that could use the current key sig to, I dunno, offer modulations or transpositions or whatever...

Actually, I was just thinking of just displaying the current key as entered in the Meter/Key view.  I don't see myself also entering the info into arranger.  If there were some cool composing tools as you suggest, that would be fantastic and could entering the data again into the Arranger worthwhile.  Snap to Scale might fit in here, too. If there could be trigger points for snap to scale so that it follows changes to the current key,  that would nice.

But I'd be real happy just seeing the current key without jump out ot the Meter/Key view. 🙂

@jimlynch22, oh, I get it. Duh. I'll be honest and say, *blush*, I have never really paid attention to the Key part of the Meter/Key view. It's like, it's invisible to me or something.

Yeah, great idea. Having it visible in the Control Bar Module, along with the time sig, probably would have drawn my attention to it. Seem like a simple enhancement.

I'll upvote it.