Condenser Mic Settings

John Call

I have a Sterling Audio ST55 condenser mic.  It has two switches on it.  One is 0db or -10db and the other has a flat line and a line that starts as an upward curve.

For acoustic guitar, vocals, etc how should these two be set?  I'm not really sure what they are for.

For a picture - https://sterlingaudio.net/sterling-st55-fet-condenser-microphone/

Thanks!

I'd set the 0dB/-10dB switch to 0dB unless you're using the mic on a particularly loud source, such as 1" from a guitar cabinet or inside a bass drum.

The switch with a line icon is for engaging a high-pass filter. Use the filter (choose the non-flat-line setting) for most things, especially vocals.

The  0db and -10db relates to a  " pad "  that is built into the mic. This allows you to lower the level of the mic's output to optimize the pre-amps input.  It can also keep the mics internal amp from over loading and distorting. Basically- I leave it at 0  and listen to a test recording to see if the mics internal pre-amp or the console or interface preamp is over loading your recording input or distorting. If it is - engage the pad, or back the mic away from the source a little. The curve line  / flat line refers to a " bass roll-off feature. This can minimize low frequency pick-up from a number of sources - such as the mic stand on a stage. or general low frequency noise in the room   - ( air conditioning system , or from a truck passing by. etc. This you engage again by doing a short recording test and listening for excess low end build up. sometime you use it to anticipate that there will other low frequency instruments or sound sources and you just decide to cut it out of the signal up front.  Low frequency energy It can also trigger compressors when you're not intending to.  -

As Bitflipper said - use the roll -off by default , and save some headaches later.  

Looking at the Sterling site. There is a pretty poorly written specification for that mic.

it says  ( attenuation  - N/A   and    high pass filter  - N/A  . That is very likely not correct.

Edited by RBH