Timo Finkbeiner

FR: Chord track

Don't overlook the Chord Track feature that was added to Studio One Pro 4.0.

Chord recognition is a given with MIDI data, because the notes are already known. But for audio material with an unknown chord structure, you can drag the audio track onto the chord track for auto chord recognition.

This video is 2 years old, but covers the basic concepts of their chord track. This software has been updated to S1 version 5.4.1 since then.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mark Mitchell said:

I have been a user of Cakewalk for decades, and have been very pleased with the Bandlab support of this application which in the Gibson shutdown set me into a bit of depression  - my tool of years was feeling dead to me.  

I came across the idea of a Chord Track from a YouTube Video yesterday. The antics of the guy are excusable - he does provide good info. He used Cubase - which the posts here have shown was first. It really sounded useful from the idea of improvising in the DAW software and making a visible outline of the harmony to use going forward - or reminding you on reopening what it was doing.  I went searching to see if we had this and found this thread - yes I would love to see this added.

I also read in the thread that there is not any Music XML support -  another thing that I would like to have included. The only XML import in the manual shows up ACT files only.  I have been looking at the scoring software area and the ability to export and import Music XML is standard.

Musescore software is working on allowing plugins of VST for their next version  - version 4. That software is open source - which to me would mean that contributions to that code base might make it interchangeable with Cakewalk.  It might be challenging - however the interchange  of that Music XML might be one way of getting it started. 

I want to stay in the Cakewalk space - but without these contributions - it does make Cubase seem like a strong contender in pulling me into a new tool.

Until a chord track feature is implemented in Cakewalk, see this thread for a suggestion for displaying chord names - Multiple Arranger Tracks 

Chord track appears to be on their to-do list, so if the Cakewalk workflow best suits you, you may want to stand by.  However, there are no promises, so you should make your DAW decisions based on your requirements and what is currently available.

On 12/7/2021 at 3:48 PM, pbognar said:

Until a chord track feature is implemented in Cakewalk, see this thread for a suggestion for displaying chord names - Multiple Arranger Tracks 

Chord track appears to be on their to-do list, so if the Cakewalk workflow best suits you, you may want to stand by.  However, there are no promises, so you should make your DAW decisions based on your requirements and what is currently available.

After making my post - I was out walking and the thought of re-using Arranger Track in this way came to mind.  Thanks for the pointer to this line of thinking as it confirmed my guess on one way to do it in the current version.   I will have to experiment to see how well it works. 

On 12/7/2021 at 8:48 PM, pbognar said:

Chord track appears to be on their to-do list, so if the Cakewalk workflow best suits you, you may want to stand by.  

Yes, Noel was asking for users to say how they thought it should work a little while ago.

Is there any update on adding a chord track to Cakewalk?  Are there any work arounds like an third party add-on chord track?

1 hour ago, DallasSteve said:

Is there any update on adding a chord track to Cakewalk?  Are there any work arounds like an third party add-on chord track?

Haven 't seen any recent discussion on the topic.

Not likely to be a workaround for a DAW centered project chord track that all tracks in a project would respond to. But there are a few 3rd party plugins that will generate MIDI chord progressions that you can drag and drop into a project track.

Have you looked at Scaler 2 by Plugin Boutique? https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/93-Music-Theory-Tools/6439-Scaler-2

"Scaler 2 is an inspirational and powerful music theory workstation that gives you access to a world of new ideas, expressions and melodies. With powerful detection of MIDI and audio, Scaler 2 can determine what key and scale you’re in and suggest chords that match your music. The plugin helps you discover the perfect melody with performance expressions, and can even suggest ways to change from one key to another."

The main difference with using 3rd party tools is you need to build your song track by track around the same scale, rather than having a global track in the DAW where other tracks could follow along with any changes made within a single chord track.

Not an easy feature to implement at the DAW level!

• Like 1