The London Way

SPAK

1 hour ago, garybrun said:

Brilliant lyrics.
You know how to tell a story.

Thanks Gary, originally it was a poem/verse I was writing and then I wondered if it would work in a song type thing ... for me it does drone on a bit ... OK if your doing a bit of poetry but you need to be a bloody good muso ( Sting ) to get it to work in a song, and I'm not that. Many thanks for your comment though and for your ears 👂

All the best, and I love your studio ...c o o l 👍

Steve

I remember visiting a victoria embankment pub where  there was an acoustic  duo singing beatles tunes.  I swear it was 11PM and just getting dark.  (is that possible?)  Anyways your song reminds me of this...no worries lots of romance.  I can hear maybe that duo or graham nash singing your song.  Really pleasant to listen to and great lyrics.

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lynn said:

I happened to listen on my speakers at low volume and was impressed by how full and wide it sounded.  Not only is it panned well, but it has front to back depth, too.  You have a good voice and a way with words.  Kudos!

Thanks Lynn, I am using both Sonar platinum & Cubase 10 for my stuff, as said before in one of my comments, I will often use either an SPL Vitalizer or just lately Cyberlink's Audio director on a completed mixdown, just a tad (bit like salt on a curry) to bring out the sound you noticed and commented on 🤔 ... takes a long time though, and I will redo this 'cause I feel it's not quite right yet, but my thanks again for your time and input as this shows me the time is worth spending.

Take care M8

Steve

15 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

I remember visiting a victoria embankment pub where  there was an acoustic  duo singing Beatles tunes.  I swear it was 11PM and just getting dark.  (is that possible?)  Anyways your song reminds me of this...no worries lots of romance.  I can hear maybe that duo or graham nash singing your song.  Really pleasant to listen to and great lyrics.

Oooh heady days ( and years ) of living and working in London. Your comments on Victoria Embankment and the picture of street singers doing Beatles songs is great to hear ( Might even have been me .. who knows, just depends on how long ago LOL). As regards to old Nashy doing one of my songs, wouldn't that be something 9_9...

BTW havn't heard a lot just lately from your good self ?

All the best

Steve

Did you guys catch the bass lines? Really understated but boy do they fit the piece well. 

In the first minute or so, I felt like I was fighting to hear the cadence, the rhythm. A lot of guitar timings that didn't seem to mesh or sync. And then I realized, not only did the rhythm get tighter as the song progresses - but great melody, super vocal, and those stringy mellotrons in the background. And the chorus? bgv's were really nice.

So I came to see the rhythm as something more live, perhaps not in  perfect sync, but very much as if they were all grooving in a room. And I liked it.

And, holy crap, there are no drums! That's an ambitious leave-out. I'd say it works a treat.

very cool.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Steve, this is one of those songs where you listen carefully to each word.  I've never been to London but the mood you set brings back melancholic feelings for places where I've lived in the past.

I'm really happy that you managed to listen to each word Bjorn and enjoy the trip, as a words man yourself you can appreciate the time that one spends trying to paint a picture that makes sense of the story you want to tell ... Big thankyou from me 👍

7 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Did you guys catch the bass lines? Really understated but boy do they fit the piece well. 

In the first minute or so, I felt like I was fighting to hear the cadence, the rhythm. A lot of guitar timings that didn't seem to mesh or sync. And then I realized, not only did the rhythm get tighter as the song progresses - but great melody, super vocal, and those stringy mellotrons in the background. And the chorus? bgv's were really nice.

So I came to see the rhythm as something more live, perhaps not in  perfect sync, but very much as if they were all grooving in a room. And I liked it.

And, holy crap, there are no drums! That's an ambitious leave-out. I'd say it works a treat.

very cool.

cheers,

-Tom

It never ceases to amaze me when you comment, not only on my stuff, but everyone's. You really understood what I tried to do here and your dead right about the whole work. I did use a Fender base over an artificial synth and the guitar tracks were real with the thinking it sounded ( dare I say) more organic, sorta like a real band would play in a pub. I admit to using a voice live touch for two of the BGV but again 3 tracks were me. I always look out for our comments and appreciate them ( good and bad) ....So thankyou my friend for listening and those observations.

All the best

Steve

7 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Very pleasant both musically and lyrically.  Your voice suits the style of this and the arrangement is very peaceful.  Kinda reminds me of some of Harry Nilsson's quieter ballads.

😃John B.

Thanks John, believe it or not many, many years ago, I ran into Harry Nilsson  in a bar by Oxford Circus in London  when he was staying at RCA's pent flat  ( He was under their banner ) He drank brandy then  (Danno if he always drank that or he suckered me) but as one of my all time hero's I've always felt lucky to have met him,  although that half hour or so left me brassic  for the rest of the month! Of course this has little to do with your input on the song, but it just came to mind as you mentioned him.

Many thanks for listening

Steve

I love songs that tell a story and your lyrics and vocals certainly kept me wrapped up in the story.  The melancholy instrumentation really complements the story and melody, and the harmonies are also well dong.  I don't normally appreciate "strings" in a song (my stupid quirk)  but I must admit they really fit perfectly in your song.   Lovely song -- well done!

15 hours ago, freddy j said:

I love songs that tell a story and your lyrics and vocals certainly kept me wrapped up in the story.  The melancholy instrumentation really complements the story and melody, and the harmonies are also well dong.  I don't normally appreciate "strings" in a song (my stupid quirk)  but I must admit they really fit perfectly in your song.   Lovely song -- well done!

Much appreciate the input, I agree that strings are an overused pad ... so I don't think it's a stupid quirk but as a very mediocre muso they have a way of covering up a multitude of sins :$ so that's my excuse LOL.

Thanks for getting through it and I'm glad you liked it 9_9

Steve