Cakewalk Takes ages to open!!!

Christopher Poore

Question

Not sure if anyone else experiences this, I had the same issue with Sonar x1,2 and 3 after a while the initial loading of the program takes longer ad longer sometimes over 3 minutes!

Have disabled Anti virus etc, turned off VST scanning on load, tried disabling background services etc but it still loads at a glacial pace. Ive seen online lots of other folk have the same issue, is this something they can look into?

ta

23 hours ago, Tim Lloyd said:

I know this is an old thread, but I am also finding that CbB is taking a long time to load, and I don't think this issue was fully resolved. For me, it seems connected with the startup screen that lists recent projects to choose from. One of my projects is on OneDrive, and when I launch the program I get a pop-up message from OneDrive telling me Cakewalk.exe is downloading from OneDrive - in this case a 580 MB cwb file which takes a while to download from the cloud. Why Cakewalk would need to download files just to present the list on startup, I don't know.

So if people have large files from previous projects, maybe that's why they are experiencing a long wait while these files load. I've tried to find a way to delete these projects from the list of recent files, but can't find a way. Maybe someone out there knows how to do this.

That's why I would recommend to disable the Start Screen in the properties, if you perceive a long start time!

I have disabled the Start Screen for years. Actually it is not necessary as you can create a new project (also with template) and open existing projects (there is a list of the last opened projects) from the File menu. And for me Cakewalk starts amazingly fast 😄, even on my older laptop!

Since the Sonar times I have noticed that the Start Screen and the automatic plugin scanning take most of the start time, but you can disable both! They're really not necessary!

On 3/11/2021 at 3:50 PM, mike halgrimson said:

I am having  the some problem - the load is definately  hung up on one of the vst plug ins

mt power drum kit .  Is it possible that i have it in 2 locations and cakewalk is trying to decide from which location to load?

i also have other vsts in more than one location

any help would be appreciated

You can determine which locations the program searches for VST plug-ins by going to Preferences\Files\VST Settings. I suggest trying to delete paths to see which is causing it to hang (take a note of them first in case you want to restore them).

Edited by Tim Lloyd
clarification

On 3/11/2021 at 4:19 PM, marled said:

That's why I would recommend to disable the Start Screen in the properties, if you perceive a long start time!

I have disabled the Start Screen for years. Actually it is not necessary as you can create a new project (also with template) and open existing projects (there is a list of the last opened projects) from the File menu. And for me Cakewalk starts amazingly fast 😄, even on my older laptop!

Since the Sonar times I have noticed that the Start Screen and the automatic plugin scanning take most of the start time, but you can disable both! They're really not necessary!

Great, that's helpful. Thanks

Hey here's a PRO tip to help with that PRO-LONGED project load time!! 

OK!  before you close out your sessions for the day, select the "FX" button in the control bar that sits in the mix module.  It is alongside the dim solo, the "2x" upsample (i think it's just placebo imo) , the R and W automation buttons....you all know the ones!   So be sure it is Enabled (disables plugins globally, like as in the whole world), then proceed to save/close your sessions and go reflect on how your life has turned out for ya so far....really think hard on that one!

Well by selecting that "FX" button before you save and close your project out, you are disabling every effect and instrument across the entire project which has cut half the time for me when opening my sessions.  It also minimizes any sudden pops or plug ins corrupting creating a loud hiss (ahem...Waves Inc. I see and HEAR you!)  So get in the habit of saving projects in plugin bypass mode!   

Just as a caveat (what does that even mean?) try NOT to mistake the bypass mode for the offset mode.  You will be a sour little gremlin if you find yourself mixing in offset on top of and simultaneously to default mode lol....you will literally think you are having serious brain perception issues after sometime.   Please capture your reaction if you do happen to be in such a predicament 😂

There is your pro tip from a dude who doesn't even know what the heck he is talking about most of the time.  But thanks for your time anyways, and no, you cannot reclaim your time.  not at cakewalk at least, try fruity loops or whatever that program is called.