Doo Dah

mark skinner

I was surfing for some female vocals and ran across a male vocal chops clip that was too strange not to use. It turned into a funk song . I found a groove and just hung there. I did get to try some new stuff on my cello. It's been up and down from Soundcloud 4 times getting it to this point , so any suggestions are more than welcome. I wanted to wait awhile with so many Fantastic songs posted lately , but after seeing Gary Bruns new studio pics in the coffee house , I'm wanting to finish this one and start remodeling..  Thanks markhttps://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/doo-dah  

Edited by mark skinner
New remix
  • Like 4

Mark, glad to see you brought that cello out of the case again !  Really a great listen, as always.

Mix wise . . . the drums, you start with a sidestick, but when that snare drum starts up, it's nice . . . but as it goes along, later in the piece I find it's too loud, too prevalent, taking attention away from those guitar and cello tasty licks. I especially like the way you played your cello near the end, kind of dragging the bow across, really nice.

• Like 1

Great comments , and spot on suggestions. Thanks You ! @noynekkerThe snare was hitting Hard , especially on the 1 and 3.  I reduced the snare volume in the clip then reduced the entire clip resulting in a lowering of 2 more tracks. The bow dragging at the end was using chime points and something I'll do more of. @David SprouseI reduced the cellos 3db and automated the vocal clip up after the intro.  "Amazing" difference with just these changes.  Smoother , cleaner and more Punch.  Keep picking it apart and I'll keep fixin it.  Send me a bill.   Thanks ..  mark

• Like 1

The link to the song doesn't yet reflect the changes I made. I'll repost it tomorrow if I don't get any further suggestions. 

1 hour ago, Wookiee said:

I suspect that the snare could come back a tad more once the Cello kick in but only just a tad.

Thanks , you just confirmed it was a problem.    mark

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Not sure about the panning at the beginning

bjorn, Thanks for the comment ..  It took me a few passes thru to get a handle on a pretty big issue between two of the main L/R guitar tracks and the way they were going back and forth. It was more noticeable at the beginning , but it carried out thru the entire song. When I get it all edited I'll post a "remix 2"  I would have Never found or addressed this without your expert opinion.   Great call ! Thanks again to everyone..   mark

I particularly enjoy when non-orchestral instruments are used in orchestral pieces, but you turned that upside down using an orchestral instrument in a non-orchestral piece - and you did a fantastic job. I really, really enjoyed this and the mix sounds great to me.

Edit: And BTW - I love your SoundCloud mast image with the skeleton on the mixing board!

Edited by Fred's Gratis Scores
  • Like 1