Motu Midi Express 128 not working in Cakewalk < SOLVED >

Sent4th

Is there anyone experiencing Midi Express 128 not working in Cakewalk? The midi shows the channels in the Preferences, but my controller and extenders do not respond.  I tried different cables and reinstalled the drivers. The unit was working for years without issues. I'm not sure if a windows 10 update is the problem. I've tried system restore on several dates, but the same results. I have a one channel m-audio midi that I tested each unit with and they responded in Cakewalk. The mystery is that the Express 128 shows in the Preferences, eight channels in and out for the midi device and the controller/extenders assigned in and out. My controller and extenders are the Mackie MCU and Mackie Extender.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks for the response. I tried unplugging the USB from the computer several times, but not from the back of the 128. I'll try that next to see if that corrects it. In the the past when it would not respond I did as just that, only from the computer and things would work fine. But this time unplugging from the computer did not reset the 128.

**** Edit ****

Tried several times unplugging the USB cable from the back of the unit and I sill get the same results. I hope that the unit is not dead or half dead. I brought new three years ago.

Edited by Sent4th
additional information

I've had this problem for years with both Win7 and now - less often - with Win10. Sometimes the Motu driver doesn't want to play with Windows. I've been in contact with MOTU's support and they had no clue either.

Here's what helps in my case:  unplug the MIDI cable from the MOTU device and put it back in. This solves about 90% of the problems. If it still doesn't work, reinstall the MOTU driver. IMHO it doesn't matter if you select "Repair" or "Change" - it usually fixes the issue.  With Win7 I've had cases where only a complete uninstall/reinstall of the driver helped.

In all cases (cable/driver) you need to close and reopen Cake before MIDI behaves again as expected.

Edited by LoopJunkie
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the response, but I believe it might be a Windows 10 issue. I connected  the 128 to my laptop and it works fine. I also replaced an old hard drive with  Windows 10 on it in my main computer and the 128 worked fine. My new hard drive which is a  Samsung 860 EVO 1 tb ssd worked fine for four months with the midi 128. Three weeks ago I turned on my system and the 128 would not respond. I went thru all the unplugging, different usb ports, new cables and a couple of system restore. I get signal going in when I move any of the faders on the Mackie Controller or one of the extenders. I see an orange light on the midi inputs but no display on the midi outputs. I am not sure if or what Windows update could have cause the problem, Any more suggestions on what I can do?

Edited by Sent4th

• Sent4th changed the title to Motu Midi Express 128 not working in Cakewalk < SOLVED >

Thanks for the inputs, I finally solved the problem after several days of going over my system and contacting MOTU.  The culprit was a Windows Update for Microsoft (KB4497165). I removed this update and the midi 128 and the Mackie/Extenders worked great. I'm glade it was not a hardware issue since the midi 128 is fairly new.