S. Christian Collins

Feature Request: option to choose default MIDI input device

My feature request is to be able to choose a default MIDI input device that will be applied to all newly created instrument tracks. Perhaps this option could be added to Preferences -> MIDI -> Devices as an additional column in the MIDI input list. This feature is present in Mixcraft and Studio One, and it makes life a lot easier with my complex MIDI setup.

When creating an instrument track, Cakewalk defaults to "Omni" and pulls MIDI data from all enabled MIDI input devices. This can be a problem in some advanced setups where you don't want MIDI recorded from a certain device most of the time, but you need it to be available for certain tracks in the project. In my case, I route various velocity and MIDI CC transformations to different virtual MIDI cables/channels for use with specific plugin configurations. Having to manually change the MIDI input device for every single instrument track I create seems unnecessarily cumbersome.

For reference, here is Mixcraft's MIDI device preferences:

Mixcraft_midi_devices.png.00912b57509518ee3b618502be4b4e18.png

By default, Mixcraft's default MIDI input device is set to "All MIDI Devices", but you can see here I have set it to "Midi Through Port-0". Note: this screenshot was taken in Wine, which is why it looks like Windows 2000, haha.

• Like 2

On 13 de noviembre de 2020 at 6:08 PM, S. Christian Collins said:

My feature request is to be able to choose a default MIDI input device that will be applied to all newly created instrument tracks. Perhaps this option could be added to Preferences -> MIDI -> Devices as an additional column in the MIDI input list. This feature is present in Mixcraft and Studio One, and it makes life a lot easier with my complex MIDI setup.

When creating an instrument track, Cakewalk defaults to "Omni" and pulls MIDI data from all enabled MIDI input devices. This can be a problem in some advanced setups where you don't want MIDI recorded from a certain device most of the time, but you need it to be available for certain tracks in the project. In my case, I route various velocity and MIDI CC transformations to different virtual MIDI cables/channels for use with specific plugin configurations. Having to manually change the MIDI input device for every single instrument track I create seems unnecessarily cumbersome.

For reference, here is Mixcraft's MIDI device preferences:

Mixcraft_midi_devices.png.00912b57509518ee3b618502be4b4e18.png

By default, Mixcraft's default MIDI input device is set to "All MIDI Devices", but you can see here I have set it to "Midi Through Port-0". Note: this screenshot was taken in Wine, which is why it looks like Windows 2000, haha.

I can not check now, but I think that this might be saved with a track template. I tend to insert instruments with track templates, so they come with their color, icons and even favourite presets.