Feature Request: ability to customize mouse wheel modifier behavior

S. Christian Collins

The vast majority of software I use adheres to the following convention for mouse wheel behavior when scrolling a view area of some kind:

• Scroll wheel: vertical scroll
  • Shift + scroll wheel: horizontal scroll
  • Ctrl + scroll wheel: zoom

This includes Audacity, MuseScore, GIMP, Inkscape, LibreOffice, Firefox, Google Chrome, Polyphone, among others. Many programs that don't follow this convention by default at least allow the user to change the mouse wheel behavior in preferences, including Reaper and Mixcraft. With Cakewalk as an exception to this behavior, I'm constantly fighting against the muscle memory I've built up through my daily computer usage, so much so that navigating views in Cakewalk has become an aggravating experience.

So, if you haven't guessed by now, my feature request is for the ability to customize mouse wheel modifier key behavior. Here is Mixcraft's settings page for this:

Mixcraft_mw_settings.png.b81d27bb6f1883dadfc030347cdb7616.png

Edited by S. Christian Collins
  • Like 1

Mouse wheel zooming (Fast Zoom in Cakewalk-ese) is a feature dear to me. Unfortunately, right now, it's rather broken.

This is the way it's supposed to work and I think that most of your functions are covered:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Arranging.22.html#1838690

Yes, it would be nice to choose the modifier keys, but it first has to work as designed.

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2020 at 12:47 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Mouse wheel zooming (Fast Zoom in Cakewalk-ese) is a feature dear to me. Unfortunately, right now, it's rather broken.

This is the way it's supposed to work and I think that most of your functions are covered:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Arranging.22.html#1838690

Yes, it would be nice to choose the modifier keys, but it first has to work as designed.

i added a report here: