[Solved] Any way to adjust Play Volume on Audio import page?

kday

When you select Import to import a Wav or MP3 file into the Track, you have that PLAY/Preview Audio function option to hear what you're loading before you import the file to your Track when you bring up the Import Folder page. Is there any option in preference or anywhere to control the Up/Down Volume of this PLAY/PREVIEW Audio function?  Every time I use this PLAY function the Volume is way up and will damage your expensive Monitors. There has to be an adjustment to lower this volume somewhere. I can't find it?

On my MPC software you can lower the Preview Audio function Volume on screen conveniently in front of you. I can't figure it out here.  

Thanks

Edited by kday

I tried that, it doesn't work.  I cut down the Buss selected and supposedly connected to the PLAY Volume function all the way down and it still was way loud, speaker damaging levels. Now I'm scared to even try to find the solution because I got brand new expensive monitors and all this seems like is guessing game, lol, and is not worth potentially blowing out these monitors in complex external routing schemes.

It's kinda sad though, that this useful important needed feature is poorly implemented.  A Volume control for the Play Audio audition function should be on the same page as the Play/Preview button itself, or at least in Preferences like on my other other software. And it shouldn't be connected to any buss, but not a bad idea, but just a separate volume control to just control that Play level volume of that function would've simplified the process. 

While I don't use the the import dialog (I use the browser), I just tested the dialog and it worked as expected.

When testing, there has to be a volume control somewhere in the path after the DAW and before the monitors.

In my case there is a software mixer supplied by the interface manufacturer where I can lower the level coming in from the PC and/or lower the signal going out to the interface main outputs.

As I noted above, I do not use the Import Audio dialog but if I did these would be my concerns

• the Preview Bus setting is not persistent and
  • it is not in sync with the Media Browser

AFAIK all the templates supplied with CbB have a dedicated preview bus.

It is pretty easy to add one to custom templates.

I keep the volume pretty low on that bus.

Ok, I discovered the and a problem.

• 1. The Preview Volume Audio control Buss Output option is at the bottom of the browser labelled Preview Bus.

But the options are doubled, there are two of every option, and selecting the wrong one will Preview your audio at full volume potentially damaging your monitors and speakers when or if you select the wrong Buss out of two, with same exact names on top, and same Buss at bottom, why are two sets listed and one set not working but plays at highest level?

• 2. User can't adjust levels in real time, you have to close the browser, make a guess, open the browser hit Play again to see if you set the right volume level?

This process can lead you to accidentally press the wrong Buss with the same identical name and again potentially blow out your monitors. 

• 3. The correct user selected Preview Bus setting is not saved.

So, I saved the Preview Bus I had set in the browser, that controlled the Preview Bus volume, I loaded the Template back up and the "wrong" preview Bus with the same exact name was selected instead,  causing the volume to play at maximum! Making this whole process a gamble,  because it's not correctly implemented somewhere, I shouldn't have two identical named Preview Busses on the same page, I don't have a volume control for that extra secondary same named one, when accidentally selecting it, or upon a new template startup, showing the selected Buss, but not being the correctly selected one, but the secondary. so it will play loud with no control until you re-select the right Buss at top again. I don't know how i got two of the same identical Busses listed when you drop down the Preview Buss selection browser with one having no control and playing full volume? 

• 4.   Preview Bus is nonexistent. I erased the Preview Bus when creating the new Template, didn't know it controlled that function because I didn't use Preview listening until now.

I don't know how to create a new Preview Bus. I tried and I didn't see any option to label it or create it as a Preview Buss, so i'm lost on that option. It would be great if the Preview Bus volume control was on the same Import File browser as the Play button, so the user could adjust the volume control without having to go back and forth in and out of the browser to constantly make adjustments to the volume control. Because many samples and files have different levels of volume and gain, and you constantly have to make adjustments for louder or lower wave files. At one set level, some wav files can shatter your speakers, so you may constantly have to monitor preview levels. I deal with a lot of samples. But because it's a double labeling, and it doesn't save the correct Preview Bus, I'm second thinking about using this feature now, because on my system. It defaults to the full volume incorrect Bus, even when the correct is selected upon boot up, and you can't really tell which Bus is selected until listening again and when loading a new file and getting a louder volume. So it's a gamble to use the process, and the feature not yet fully developed. 

Edited by kday

2 minutes ago, kday said:

But the options are doubled, there are two of every option, and selecting the wrong one will Preview your audio at full volume potentially damaging very expensive monitors and speakers when selecting the wrong Buss out of two with same exact names on top, and same Busses at bottom, why are two sets listed and one set not working but plays at highest level?

I do not see this.

In the Audio Import Preview Bus Drop down I see a list of the buses in the project followed by a list of the device outputs starting with --None--.

6 minutes ago, kday said:

I don't know how to create a new Preview Bus.

There is nothing special about it. Right-click in the bus header area and create a new bus. Name it as you wish.

Ok, I named my device in/outputs the same exact name as the Volume Busses for the Monitor speakers, so it show the Buss name, and the devices in/outs as the same exact name. I did that to make it easier to identify. I guess I would have to change one of the names to distinguish between the two. But it still doesn't save the correct buss, and defaults to a full volume buss I have no control over.

How would i create a Preview Bus, just name it Preview and it would control the Preview volume on the Import wav file browser?

26 minutes ago, scook said:

I do not see this.

In the Audio Import Preview Bus Drop down I see a list of the buses in the project followed by a list of the device outputs starting with --None--.

There is nothing special about it. Right-click in the bus header area and create a new bus. Name it as you wish.

Thanks for all your help!  I tried creating a new Bus, It can work, in a non real time volume level adjustment process. But not being able to save the settings with the program Template kinda sucks.

But thanks again! Appreciate all your help.

Try the media browser

The preview setting is persistent

The volume of the preview bus may be adjusted while previewing

To import using the media browser drag files into the project

Add paths to the browser to directly access folders on any HD attached to the PC

The project templates included with the DAW have three buses defined: Master, metronome and preview.

If you elect to create your own project templates consider starting with one of the bundled templates.

Make sure to save custom templates using different names than the ones included with with DAW or use a custom project template path.

The project template path is set using the Templates entry in preferences.

I created a Preview Bus and it works as a set volume control.

What do you mean The volume of the preview bus may be adjusted while previewing?

I wasn't able to do that. If you need to adjust the volume while previewing from the Import file browser, you have to close the browser first. Because it won't allow any level adjustments to a Buss or Track level while the Import browser is up. 

I didn't see a volume adjustment option on the media page. Are you referring to the drop down browser option media browser? 

9 minutes ago, kday said:

What do you mean The volume of the preview bus may be adjusted while previewing?

While using the preview function in the media browser the controls on the preview bus (and the rest of the DAW too) are accessible.

9 minutes ago, kday said:

I wasn't able to do that. If you need to adjust the volume while previewing from the Import file browser, you have to close the browser first. Because it won't allow any level adjustments to a Buss or Track level while the Import browser is up. 

I didn't see a volume adjustment option on the media page. Are you referring to the drop down browser option media browser? 

Do not confuse the Import Audio dialog with the Media Browser

Both can preview and import audio but the Media Browser is not a modal dialog like the Import Audio dialog.

Hallelujah bro, I got it!  The way it worked for me was to create that Preview Bus, route the Output to None, and then route the Preview Bus FX send to the Master Bus and the Preview Output could go no louder than the set Master Bus /Monitor level. And it saves the setting.  The only thing now is that it doesn't save the "current location preset" that Disk icon that allows you save your last location link, you we're last left at.  When I reloaded the template it went to the saved last location, and then reverted back to the native sample link at the Big Fish Audio location, instead of the location I thought I saved by hitting the disk icon which leads to my Hard Drive folder of sounds. I guess this much will work until i find out why it goes to the saved location and then revert back to the native Big Fish Audio location. But thanks anyway, without you helping me out, I would've gave up and forgot about this feature, now this program is more valuable than ever!  Now i have to figure out why it goes to the saved location, then revert back to the native location now.   Thanks for all your help!

• kday changed the title to [Solved] Any way to adjust Play Volume on Audio import page?

As a rule all audio should be routed to the master bus.

This is done the same way for tracks and buses by setting their output drop down to the master bus.

There is no need to set an output to None and use a send instead of the track/bus output to route to the master bus.

The current Media Browser Content Location menu selection is stored in the project or project template when saved and recalled when the project or template is re-opened.

The reason I have the Master Buss set to none, is because i have two sets of monitors, and I control them separately. And this way allows me to record a high signal to the recorder, while monitoring the sound at lower levels controlled by the Monitor level I can play with with in real time even while recording maximum signal levels at the same time. If all was set to Master Buss real time level, I might would want to lower the volume, and it would effect the recording level.  I get that message saying Master Buss output is set to none.

Is there any way to stop notifications at load up telling me the Master Buss is set to none? I tried notification settings but it doesn't stop that Master Buss/None notification at startup.

The current Media Browser Content Location menu selection is not saved on my system when i reload a saved Template. It goes to that saved location, then it reverts to the default non saved location. I'm still trying to figure this out why it's reverting to the default program location.

I got the saved Location function working now. It just started working after doing a save on everything including the Workspace save at top.  Looks like everything is complete for this process. I still wish I could eliminate the "Silent Buss Detected" message that comes up at beginning of the template loading process though. It slows down the load Template process for something I already know. Thanks again!