Garritan Personal Orchestra, no staccato woodwinds

DocBob

GPO5 woodwinds don’t have a staccato articulation.  I’ve fooled around with notes of short duration, velocity, and the “length” cc21 control but nothing sounds like a true staccato, which is tongued.. Any ideas from GPO users here? The Garritan forum has no recent action.

Tweaking them like you're doing is the only thing I can think of.  you might want to consider Vienna Special Edition 1. It has nice staccato articulations. I recommend the Synchron version, as the instruments are panned, whereas the Ensemble Player version is not. It's not an expensive library, especially considering what you get.

On the other hand, at least for me, not all the woodwinds are to my liking. I use their Flute, Eng Horn and Bassoon. But I prefer the GPO oboes and clarinets. 

I have not found one library to rule them all. I also have EWSO Gold. I use selections from all those libraries, plus two dedicated string libraries. Mix and match can work quite well. The weaknesses of one are covered by another.

Edited by mdiemer

Thanks all..   I have SampleTank 4  which I got free with my midi keyboard. It comes with a number of Miroslav instruments including the woodwinds. I tried them - the articulations are OK; I don't especially like the samples - I find them artificial, especially as compared to the Garritan patches, but the deal breaker is that SampleTanlk4 is not stable in Cakewalk, at least as a multi-timbral instrument.  It works until I try to change anything within the plugin,  then I get clicks and stutters.  I'll try separate instances and see if it's any better.

Addendum.  Re-booted and it seems to work just fine now as a multi-timbral . I still am not in love with the sampling, but it'll do for now.

Edited by DocBob

1 hour ago, DocBob said:

Addendum.  Re-booted and it seems to work just fine now as a multi-timbral . I still am not in love with the sampling, but it'll do for now.

Glad to hear it is working.  It is always a challenge to find the right virtual Orchestra for ones needs.  I really think Garritan should come out with a version 6 that has more articulations in them.  

21 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Glad to hear it is working.  It is always a challenge to find the right virtual Orchestra for ones needs.  I really think Garritan should come out with a version 6 that has more articulations in them.  

I'd love a GPO update. Their samples to my ear are gorgeous,  much better sounding than Mirosalv, and even I think, better than Spitfire's BBC Orchestra (I have the  Discover version.)   For the price, can't be beat!

It seems like it would be a money maker for them.  another 10-15GB of samples that are lacking and I know I would be on board for the upgrade. Plus they could make it available to use in Finale to play back the score.   Win-win in my book.  But what do I know?   

As mentioned earlier, SONIVOX Orchestral Woodwind Companion has staccato samples.

Right now, you can get their entire Film Score Companion bundle for $20 at Pluginboutique. That gives you all 3 Orchestral Companions, plus Cinematic Percussion and their sampled grand.

And you can try before you buy, just go to SONIVOX' site and download the trial.

• Thanks 1

I'm actually okay on Orchestra for my needs. I was just commenting on the need for Garritan to update the program especially since the samples are used in Finale and with the competition like Notion it really should be done.  Also for those that don't know, the folks that make Finale own Garritan products.

You might want to check out Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra. https://indiginus.com/amadeus.htm

It is compatible with the free Kontakt Player.

If you are already a SonicScores user with Overture 5, it is a $99 deal. https://sonicscores.com/product/amadeus-symphonic-orchestra-1/

There are various articulations, including staccato...

Edited by abacab